PYE Compressor/Limiter Thread *boards shipping* BOM up!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks,
i'm a bit late to the party but does anyone have the full 80 4060 schematic/service doc with the extra output stage included?
As per the clip below.

I see Mr Sowter now does the output transformer for it. http://www.sowter.co.uk/acatalog/E_A_Sowter_Ltd_VINTAGE_RECORDING_AMPLIFIER_TRANSFORMERS_5.html

Attachments

• pye-output.jpg
    pye-output.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 31
mrclunk said:
Hi folks,
i'm a bit late to the party but does anyone have the full 80 4060 schematic/service doc with the extra output stage included?
As per the clip below.

I see Mr Sowter now does the output transformer for it. http://www.sowter.co.uk/acatalog/E_A_Sowter_Ltd_VINTAGE_RECORDING_AMPLIFIER_TRANSFORMERS_5.html

This pic basically shows the whole output stage. The input/sidechain are roughly the same. Sowter did the transformers, but I'm not aware if anybody actually tested them in this design.

Thanks, i think i see the changes now.
Here's the console version schem for folks.
I didn't spot it in this thread.

Attachments

• pye 2674 comp.jpg
    pye 2674 comp.jpg
    909.4 KB · Views: 91
Hi All,

i've taken the plunge to try and get hold of a couple of these pcbs from Abe, i love Eddie Kramer so i need to get me a decent stereo pair of these for the studio!!
prepare yourselves for when i get stuck!!!

Happy Easter btw everyone.

regards

Spence.

I've spent ridiculous amount of hours trying to get this compressor to work as it should. And I finally nailed what was the problem - one shorted trimmer on R44 position!
It has been very frustrating but it was worth every minute IMO.

Just follow the build guide and BOM provided by SR1200 and reference to the schematic file PYE3 14SCHB.PDF and you'll be good. They are both somewhere in this thread.

I've built dual unit and after I realized how transparent it is, I've replaced pots with switches on input and output.
Not it is tracking so precisely that it doesn't have to be in stereo link mode to maintain accurate stereo image.
It is definitely a mastering grade compressor!

If you get stuck, I can pull out my unit and do a voltage map. That may help.

:)

Luka

thats very kind Luka, i will start getting all the bits together as i think i have a lot of the bits left over from other units ive built, i will probably wind my own inductors and transformers as well.

regards

Spence.

I built mine with the recommended parts/values and had no problems. I'd say stick with what's recommended.

Ive ordered the correct 1ma Meters and decided to go with the TLC555 pcb.
Few other resistors and caps I will have to order but should have pretty much everything else.
Looking forward to this build!!

I think it's somewhere in this thread, but on a quick search I couldn't find it.

So here it goes (again)

schematic PYE14SCHB

Attachments

• PYE3 14SCHB.pdf
    496.1 KB · Views: 61
If you haven't done so, I'd also recommend reading the thread from start to finish just to get some perspective on it.

Disabling sidechain would require lifting one leg from the switching transistor. That would be messy on this board. Also, you would probably have to lift send to interstage transformer.
Way more neat would be to do true bypass via relay on the in/out connectors

When the bypass boards (if you're using the same ones) are powered the circuit is in. When they lose power(bypass on), the nc contacts pass in directly to out.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=208395312989103&set=a.191092941386007.1073741829.100014559074906&type=3&theater

desol said:
When the bypass boards (if you're using the same ones) are powered the circuit is in. When they lose power(bypass on), the nc contacts pass in directly to out.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=208395312989103&set=a.191092941386007.1073741829.100014559074906&type=3&theater

:(

I get "The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible to an audience that you aren't in" for this.  Is there a special, elite group that I need to join? ;)

Thanks,
A.

It's no big deal really. Just a pic of the layout and bypass boards with power on.

Attachments

• pye.jpg
    pye.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 65
desol said:
It's no big deal really. Just a pic of the layout and bypass boards with power on.

Cheers, thanks for that.

The OCD person inside me would like you to fix up that fourth transformer please ;) ;)

Cheers,
A.

Latest posts

Back