PYE Compressor/Limiter Thread *boards shipping* BOM up!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like any good, usable piece of equipment, Pye is a compressor known to pretty much work on anything.

Im gettin set to start wiring this puppy up and had a few questions. I attached a pic of how i think the pots should be oriented and the way i intend to wire the stereo link. Anyone want to check my work and give me the A-Ok?

Attachments

• C9BF17C5-8D2B-45BE-8834-FBE36DB0B52B.jpeg
    C9BF17C5-8D2B-45BE-8834-FBE36DB0B52B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 97
Thats great stuff Rob, i thought i'd revisit this unit and see if I could get it working a little better and understand the setup a bit more.
Channel 1 sounds pretty good, I have no idea what everything is set too!!! I just twiddled and looked at the waveform and tried to get the meter working to a decent level.
Channel 2 sounds good now but i get these big spikes!! so I need to revisit the setup and approach it as per your last post calibration.
I also have a trim pot for R65 which helps zero the meter.

I dont know if my pic posted with my last question, but I was wondering if someone could give me a little more clarity on the orientation of the pot pins to the board and the wiring of the stereo switch. The verbal instructions are not making much sense to me about marrying the pins

Mmt50816 said:
I dont know if my pic posted with my last question, but I was wondering if someone could give me a little more clarity on the orientation of the pot pins to the board and the wiring of the stereo switch. The verbal instructions are not making much sense to me about marrying the pins
1=anticlockwise
2=wiper
3=clockwise

Spencerleehorton said:
Am I right in thinking that these peaks I see happening on Channel 2 are when the compressor is pumping?
Or is it that the threshold is t setup properly?

Have you tried to set up both channels as per the doc I posted ? 

If you haven't then I would do this first & then start making comparisons.  If you have then I would say that if both channels are doing something radically different with the same settings then you have a fault on one channel.

Rob Flinn said:
1=anticlockwise
2=wiper
3=clockwise

I understand that is how the pins on the potentiometer are oriented. I am asking which pin goes to which spot on the pcb.  As in does pin 1 go to ground in both the input and output pot with wiper being the middle spot on the pcb?

Which spot on the output xlr is the + and which is - ?

And on the input xlr is pin 3 of the xlr go to the middle spot on the pcb?

Ill post my wiring pic again. Let me know if all thse connections look correct, especially the stereo switch business

Attachments

• 23C4A895-1669-4F2E-A573-2EA02DE6346E.jpeg
    23C4A895-1669-4F2E-A573-2EA02DE6346E.jpeg
    626.4 KB · Views: 60
Mmt50816 said:
I understand that is how the pins on the potentiometer are oriented. I am asking which pin goes to which spot on the pcb.  As in does pin 1 go to ground in both the input and output pot with wiper being the middle spot on the pcb?

Since they are both level controls it is highly likely that pin 1 goes to ground.

Which spot on the output xlr is the + and which is - ?

And on the input xlr is pin 3 of the xlr go to the middle spot on the pcb?

Since both in & out are transformer balanced it will not make a great deal of difference which way you wire them so long as the output is in phase with the input.

Check with your meter which of the input connections goes to ground & you will have found which connection is pin 3 on the xlr.

I was wondering does anyone have the full documentation for this project?
The Help docs on collectivecases.com has no schematic on the U7 Daughter Board, all other links I have found are dead.
I would be incredibly thankful for any additional documentation anyone could share.

Latest posts

Back