1176 Power Transformer hookup

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrigotti

I am using this PT:

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Amveco-Talema/Web%20Data/62000%20Series%20Low%20Profile%20Miniature%20Transformers.pdf

I get how to hook up the primaries for 115V, and I understand how to wire the secondaries in series, but my question is how to hook all of that to the PCB.

Do the 2 center wires on the secondary constitute a center tap and are therefore considered the common or 0 volts?

On MNats PCB's that I have, there is a section labeled 24-0-24. I am assuming that the outer wires (green and blue in this case) of the secondaries go to the 24 volts. It is the 0 that I am confused about.

Thanks!

yep, that's it; if you tie two equal windings together in series, they become essentially one winding with a center tap. so the two that you tie together go to the "0" connection on the board. and don't forget these helpful hints from jakob's site (http://www.gyraf.dk):

- Make sure that the centre tap of the 2x24V at the power transformer is connected to ground

- Connect 0V/Ground to chassis at - and only at - the input XLR(F) connector. Here you can also connect the mains power ground from the IEC power connector if you need that.

ed

Thanks Ed.

I had read that info from the Gyraf site, but thanks for reminding me of it.

The schematics on the Gyraf site show the center tap, but the transformer in the illustration is one much the the PT's I'm used to when building guitar amps in that they have 2 red wires on the secondary and one red and yellow wire as the center tap.

Now, I know something about this type of transformer.

Cheers! :sam:

as long as you're mindful of the polarity, connecting the wires as you've suggested, using the info from the toroid datasheet, you should be fine. that's the only trick with connecting two windings together to make a center-tapped winding -- if one winding is hooked up with opposite polarity, they cancel and you have a problem.

ed

Latest posts

Back