Bulk Snake Cable

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

I'm looking for some sources for buying bulk snake cable... in my case I'm looking primarilly for 16 pair, but 8 pair will do. I usually order Mogami from Markertek here in the states, but am hunting around for other alternatives, as Mogami is rather expensive.

Any suggestions for other manufacturer(s) and/or supplier(s)?

Comment on the following if you want.. Belden? Canare? Gepco?

you'll want to get in touch with redco. www.redco.com they make a mogami copy, TGS, which in every way that I can tell, is identical. The jacket isnt as flexable, but it looks and sounds the same to me and is horrifingly cheaper. They're also super amazing people to do business with, really great resource for this group. They also do metal panel punching...

dave

Soundguy - Looks like the TGS is about 80 cents cheaper per foot than the Mogami... thanks.

Scenaria - I found some Gepco at Markertek MUCH cheaper than Mogami, and even Redco for that matter. Any personal experience with the Gepco?

NewYorkDave - Much of my console wiring to my patchbays is done with Clark. When I bought the console, the person I bought it from had much of the cabling done with Clark. Isn't the most flexible stuff, but then again this will be used to wire my tape machine I/O to my patchbays, so flexibility isn't that important to me in this case. Do you have a good source for the Clark so I can get a price or two?

IMHO you cant go wrong with gepco for the$$$

I think SSLtech has used gepco in the past... he might have some comments on it..

I believe he used it in a custom p-bay job for a 9098i desk....

Greg,

I buy direct from Clark. We use a lot of of their audio cable and triax at my job, so the rep knows me by name.

RE: Gepco, I used it when I was building radio stations--my employer was a Gepco dealer--and it's also fine cable.

Frankly, you probably won't go wrong with any of the good name brands. My preference for Clark mainly derives from the fact that I use it day in and day out and find it very easy to strip compared to, say, Belden 8451.

Here's another question I'll throw on to this thread:

I was planning use 25-Pin D-Sub Connectors to connect to my tape machine. I've seen the plastic hood and the metal hood (for shielding)? Does it really matter?

Metal hood might be marginally better, so long as the shell is positively grounded to the chassis. It's only a small length of cable that's left unshielded, if the DB25s are assembled correctly, and it's a balanced signal, so it shouldn't make an earth-shattering difference which type hood you use.

Latest posts

Back