GSSL with turbo and 2 SSC boards...... please help.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AudioguyII

Hello,

Thank you all for all the great info for these wonderful builds. Sorry for being a newb!!!  But this is such a great learning experience.
Forgive me if I am not posting this in the appropriate thread but some have not seen any replies in a while.

My second GSSL has been fitted with a turbo board and 2 SSC boards.
Both SSC boards have the relays already on them.

Can I please ask if my wiring is correct.

1. Do I need to remove the old rotary bypass switch, or just leave it on.

2. In this wiring diagram, would my Turbo Board be working correctly?
  Seemed when I tested it the stereo image was doing it's old thing.

3. When bypassed by either the rotary or the DPDT switch, the make-up gain is still in effect.... very annoying. Anyway to rectify this?

Thank u all for any help you might give ...
Also Thank you to Flipside for the graphics....

Attachments

• Audioguyii GSSL .jpg
    Audioguyii GSSL .jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 156
Hey Audioguy, At a first glance your wiring looks correct. There is a detailed guide produced by Rochey and Keith at expat audio. Check out their web here http://www.expataudio.com/diy/Turbo/TurboInstallationManual.pdf

Pages 9 and 10 deal with switching your turbo and doing a two SSC installation.

Mac

Hey Mac,

Thanks for that info,  I had read through that but there still seem to be a few things that I am missing.
1. Bridging the L and R pads on both boards.... or just one. (To solve the 20K to 10K problem)
2. Wire bypass switch on both boards, it was said in another thread to just wire one to bypass switch.
3. Is the TUrbo working correctly?

etc..

So close yet still feel like I'm missing something.

thx!

Bridging the L and R pads on both boards.... or just one? (To solve the 20K to 10K problem)
sorry for the stupid question
the 47k( close to the VCA) resistors are omitted from both?
thanks

???

If you use dual SSC you need a input resistor of 10k. So you solder in a 10k resistor or you connect the ssc input to both L+R input pads (bridge them) and so the two 20k resistors parallel will form a 10k resistor.

This you do on both boards.

And yes, you omit both 47k resistors.

Hey Tomcat,

I've seen a few of your postings regarding this, thx for all the info.
could u please verify if this wiring is correct, and perhaps why the makeup gain is always engaged.

Should the bypass toggle from the SSC "to SW in/ret" be connected on both SSC boards?

In this wiring, it's probably just my imagination that the Turbo board isnt working properly........

Thx for your help.

Attachments

• Audioguyii GSSL .jpg
    Audioguyii GSSL .jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 84
I did use other SSC boards without the relay and bypass stuff. Sorry cant help you here.

The rest looks ok (from memory).

sorry if I repeat the question
My GSSL:
2 SSC board + turbo (with Bypass)
I still need to link L-R on both?
instead of link between L-R can do that?

Attachments

• Board Layout.jpg
    Board Layout.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 68
Last time ;)

You have 2 choices:

1. you have already soldered the two 20k resistors: you connect the cable from one desoldered 47k resistor on the mainboard to the L AND R pad on one ssc board. Then you connect the cable from the other desoldered 47k resistor on the mainboard to the L AND R pad on the second sidechain board

2. instead of the two 20k resistors you use just one 10k resistor and connect the cables from the mainboard to the pad which connects to this 10k resistor

Everything is in the plans posted before....

question:
my GSSL SSC +2 + turbo seems to work perfectly
TL and TM when adjusting the first SSC will also change the other channel ...
Is this normal?
thanks

Hello  :)

My first GSSL  I just put the SSC in , now I've put another in and the Turbo board .  I've wired everything as the Wiring  shows in this graphic in this thread - still waiting for the dual deck switch - but have a Question...

The  <  Com - OFF - ON - Pot A - Pot B  >  I already had connected to the Control board .. Do I  just Jumper those connections  from the first SSC board to the other SSC board ? 

Thanks,
                Chip

EDIT :  in the graphic , under the SSC board it says " Not connected to Control Board "  -  but in the note at the bottom it says "  Control Board still has Rotary Bypass Switch connected from original Schematics "  .. just a little confused  ???

Hi All,
        Thought I would post this here.  Just finished up mod'n my first GSSL I put together a few years ago with 2 x SSC and a Turbo board and CRC board  -  I followed the graphic in this thread , however didnt understand about only connecting the  <  Com - OFF - ON - Pot A - Pot B  >  on one of the SSC boards and jumpered them , it seams to work - but dont know if I'm damaging anything.
  Its sounds AWESOME and used this switch from Newark - 06m4594  - its a $24 switch - Electroswitch #c4d0212n-a - you might be able to find it cheaper - , it fits a 1U case and you get all the positions for the SSC.

... trying to finish a dual mnats 1176, but  its kickin my ass at the moment... so I  thought I'd finish this up  :)

Here a  link to  some pix -  https://picasaweb.google.com/audiophreeek/2XSSCTurboGSSL?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMrg4vzsuanM0gE&feat=directlink

Back