Has anyone ever done a PCB or build for V72 or V78?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
    Well everyone should take the point that if you want an EXACT v72 or v76 you must buy an original. Also if you want an "as close as one can possibly get" recreation, spend out the nose on parts, or spend out the nose on buying a custom recreation. But we are on a DIY board and what I've always loved about DIY is being able to step back and say: I love the way this sounds. Why does it sound like that and How can we get as close to that sound as possible without breaking up the band cause that kind of defeats the point (at least to me).
    I'm not familiar with drips V72 board. Are there any v76 boards available? I have one design completed if people were interested enough to send to get PCBs made. Right now for me this is going on the back burner - unless we find a more reasonable option to 200$ a channel on iron.

abechap024 said:
unless we find a more reasonable option to 200$ a channel on iron.

Thats not too much compared to an original unracked ($2500+).. or the Mercury reissue ($2300)
Even if it's $800/channel, it's still a deal.... but then again, I'm the kind of guy who spends $400 on an LA-4 clone when I could get the real thing for $450. Labor of love.

Never used the real thing  , but can't afford it either
if d.i.y. gives me something i can use that has quality
I'm all for it

guavatone said:
Has anyone compared A-B'd the drip V72 to the original?
I recall greg saying they were pretty close.  I wonder why he no longer has them.
I may just have to make one ;)

I have one complete... but have no V72. Sounds great ;D

Drip used the Lundahl 1636 for an input in configuration E as 1:20, except he attached 16 (-) to 11,13,14.
1578XL was used on the Output and the Sowter is good enough for a choke and 50% smaller.

Thats $200 in Iron, not counting the Anode choke.

Interesting....looking over the different schematics I just noticed the 76m only requires a 1:10 input. That sounds much more available...

And looks like the only thing that really differs on the first stage of  76m and 76 is the transformer then 2 resistors and a cap are different values....looks like people could use a 1:10 or a 1:30 and place the correct components accordingly....

If you are going to do away with the anode choke on cost grounds then you might just as well build a REDD47 instead and the tubes are more readily available too.

Cheers

Ian

If people have any CJ docs on the iron, I can try to get something made. If what CJ built worked (5/8" nickel lams), and people were OK with it (no hacked-together 3 chamber bobbins though)  then it shouldn't cost more than $35 dollars in quantity, and any trafo winder will be able to wind the 44 AWG CJ mentions.  Won't be top priority for me, I'm still prototyping toroidal inductors, but I can see what can be done. A choke is a choke after all. 

I could also try to make some input iron if people want a 1:30, though I may need a bit of help with this.

Back