DuMont 2100 oscilloscope - Help getting started please

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ

Hello,

I picked up an old DuMont 2100 scope at a ham radio fest this past weekend. I have never used a scope before, so am a bit clueless but have looked over a few sites which discuss basic controls. For the life of me I cannot find a manual for this guy, so I'm kind of left just poking around the controls. I was trying to look at the output of a function generator (software based / audio output of my pc), but I can't see the proper wave. When I touch the end of the audio cable, I get a sine wave, though this has nothing to do with the output of the generator because I can get the same wave if touching the cable while it is unplugged (changing wave shape in the generator does nothing on the scope). Also, the power cable for this scope has no ground pin (not that it was broken, it never had one). The side of the chassis has an RCA type plug labeled ground though...

I was hoping to use this scope for basic audio DiY. It's 10Mhz and dual trace. Am I going about the above the wrong way? What can I do to make sure this thing is working properly? Eventually I want to get a Tek, but this was only $30 so I figured it was worth a shot to start/learn with.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Back