CLX-VU Build Thread (DBX 160VU ) UPDATE: REV 3

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winetree said:
Rev 3 P.S.B.
C1 & C4 are not on the BOM. PSB shows 100nf.  No extra parts in kit. Are they used?

no those are optional.

Do the 102K/400  1nf blue caps go in C24 & C84?
Yes those are the polyester caps
I've got all the red caps from a former parts kit as are shown in the Project Build Manual.
Are they better than the newer gray ones?
Nope, they both will work equally fine.
I've got the big old red 475J/250v Film cap for C21.
Would that be better to use than the little 4.7uf/25v bi polar cap included in the kit?
They will both sound great! The original used the little 4.7uf bi-polar cap. So use whatever you like.

Hi

I have a question reagarding calibration of the RMS unit.
The build manual says that I should put a signal of 100Hz -60dB on the input and then adjust R36.
My question is:
Is it -60dBm or dBu?

Thanks
Mattias

re: stereo link

Won't "linking the 2 caps together" change the compressor time constant?
would something like http://hairballaudio.com/guides/Stereo_Link_Wiring_Guide.pdf work?

Great Project....Couple of questions. Stereo Build, Collective Case, Hairball meters/switches.

1. What size are the holes for the Hairball switches? I have some size #2, but they're too large for the front panel.

2. Any ideas on mounting the LEDs. I used Heat-Shrink. to thicken up the small LEDs, but theyre just kinda flopping around inside the case. 

FYI, The recommended torroidal xformer is back in stock. The Amveco alternative is quite spendier $42 on DigiKey.

I found some led mount things on mouser that work just great with dans CLX cases. Let me see if I can find them again.

I *think* they were these, you might want to double check. If not it was something like them.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bivar/CR-104/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtilyJihmhKqxNokeKFkmzIYuf096hicBQ%3d

Abe did you manage to finish the unit with the original 200?
Wondering how it's comparable and if worth the £££££

There was a guy on another post saying something about sharing audio files but I don't think that ever happened?

Hi!
Did any of the european buyers received their boards? I´m in germany and i´m still waiting for my pcbs to arrive :(
Chris

EDIT: boards arrived today! Hurrrraaaa  :) Thanks ape for another great DIY project!

Hi there
Sitting here with the kit and is wondering about the transistors for Q2, Q8 and Q14 ( I read about it in the start of the thread, but still confused and can't find any data og them when I Google) :

I got 2 transistors in the kit labelled : 2N 5818 and 5819 - 5818 is for Q14 and 5819 is for Q8, right?
And then Q2 ( BC 550 C) is missing in the kit?

then one more question : at the BOM rev 3. it doesn't look like 200 ohm or 1 K ohm( what I see at the pictures) for R30 + R48?  Or am I wrong?  It says 200 ohm/1Kohm at the pcb?
Thanks and best regards from Nick W

nuclues said:
Hi there
Sitting here with the kit and is wondering about the transistors for Q2, Q8 and Q14 ( I read about it in the start of the thread, but still confused and can't find any data og them when I Google) :

I got 2 transistors in the kit labelled : 2N 5818 and 5819 - 5818 is for Q14 and 5819 is for Q8, right?
And then Q2 ( BC 550 C) is missing in the kit?

then one more question : at the BOM rev 3. it doesn't look like 200 ohm or 1 K ohm( what I see at the pictures) for R30 + R48?  Or am I wrong?  It says 200 ohm/1Kohm at the pcb?
Thanks and best regards from Nick W

Yea some of the kits I stupidly left out the BC550 and a 1k resistor email me your addy and I can send you some replacements. Also don't look at the pictures too closely on the boards, because I use different parts, same values but like different colors and they visually aren't the same. Go by measuring the resistors and then also capacitors codes.

2N 5818 and 5819 - 5818 is for Q14 and 5819 is for Q8, right? that is correct have thier "face" (flat part) face towards the center of the PCB.

Newbie Question regarding the powersupply:
I got this power supply ( see pic) and i'm confused where the red,brown, blue and green goes to the pcb (AC,CT,AC)
Could someone help me please :)

Attachments

• wire.JPG
    wire.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 33
Connect Red+Brown and that is your center tap. Doesn't matter how you connect the other ones, just as long as the center tap is in the middle.

Latest posts

Back