CLX-VU Build Thread (DBX 160VU ) UPDATE: REV 3

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EmptyMusicBox1 said:
hello

i try to use a LED Meter for the GR on the CLX

i think i need to find a other point to wire the Meter because the LED MEter work " reverse" on the "VU point of the Board  " ALL the LED = No compression " !!!

where i can find a Positiv voltage for my LED MEter GR

idee ?

thanks for your Help

Maybe perfboard an inverting opamp? probably the most simple way...

miko said:
Hello fellow DIY folks. I'm stil pretty noob at diy projects and i dont know if this is the correct place to ask this, but what BOMS do i have to order to build this dbx? Because you have the main bom, the THAT bom etc. Wich ones do i need? Thanks

USe the THAT one with the that 2180 vca chip

Dr Gris said:
Abe has the PCB's for sale here:
http://store.acsoundstudio.com/pcb/

I think the parts kit is out of stock though.
The case I have is from collectivecases.com
It's for a dual unit.

Bumping my latest question, does anybody know the name for those headless screws to
use when you mount the switch banks to the case, or something else that works?
I guess the size is 4-40?

Best
Magnus

I forget what size I use...they are pretty long and then I use 1/2" nylon spacer. It would be nice to have cases with those kind of standoffs you are talking about though.

Hi guys,

I've bought. 2 x 4 gang switch for use as stereo unit but I'm still none the wiser on how to use the power switch correctly Anne on the other channel to use the other switch as the stereo link.
Is someone able to post a diagram of how to do this please?

Regards

Spence.

I'd like to drop some feedback after building and using CLX comp.

Back in the day I used to work in a studio that had DBX160VU and it saved few of my mix sessions. It was my go-to for some male rap vocals that 1176 couldn't handle well (odd, isn't it!!). That is why I wanted to build this compressor.
With some ups and downs I built it. Calibration was total PITA, but I did it in a way to have it working to my taste. R79 voltage is different than in manual, but it works great.

This compressor is absolutely amazing on drums! This is pure essence of rock drums. No matter what kind of kick and snare you have, it will shape it the way you need them - punch punch punch!

I tried it on kick and on snare, and on both it isfantastic. But my main trick with this compressor was when yesterday I decided to put kick and snare on the same channel and insert them into mono CLX. It tied them together, gave them similar clicky transient and no matter how much you drop the treshold to hear the release suck sound in between kick and snare, it always joins them together in a fantastic way. It has a tons of character. This is it! After that I just brought the rest of the drums on two more channels without much fiddling with it. A-MAZING!

And the interesting thing is that on vocals it sucked! Pumping gets too obvious and it's hard to fine tune. Didn't try rap vocals yet...

:)

Attachments

• 20140510_183743.jpg
    20140510_183743.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 96
sorry to keep going on about this but can anyone help with wiring in two of the 4 gang push switches for a stereo unit so i can use on the left channel, power on unit, in, GR, out and on the right hand channel stereo link, in, GR, out.
as it is not covered in the manual with the CLX-VU.

regards

Spence.

hello

i don't find the solution for my Unbalanced Output problem ...

i have 0,35v on R83 when i use 0,75v on input and after R92 to the output i have 0v ... no sound on pin3

but on R89 i have 0,75v !!!!!!! pin2

it's normal ?

i can split the audio signal at C25 more a resitance R22 for my pin 3

thanks for your help !

Have looked back through the thread and found this:

You need to wire the power switch like on the 1176, when you push the power button when you want to turn it off, and selecting a meter mode will turn the unit on. All you have to do is switch whatever pins you have the AC power on.

For the Stereo link, you have to press both the link and the meter function you want, I wish there was a more elegant solution than this, but it works.

Will wire up and calibrate.

Regards

Spence.

Have had a little think about wiring up the on/off config using the 4 gang switch and I'm going to go with a normal power switch far right for the AC and use the spare push button on left of 4 gang switch channel 1 for true bypass, the right hand channel will be the stereo link.

Regards

Spence.

EmptyMusicBox1 said:
hello

i have 0,35v on R83 when i use 0,75v on input and after R92 to the output i have 0v ... no sound on pin3

it's normal ?

thanks for your help !

i add a schamtic with voltage test point :

about C32 why it's not wire on the Schema ? it's neccesary ?

thanks for your help

EmptyMusicBox1 said:
EmptyMusicBox1 said:
hello

it's normal ?

thanks for your help !

thanks for your help

Hi,
The way the circuit works is my understanding you don't see signal on pin 3 but it is still fully balanced....I think I read somewhere even better then fully balanced as it has some sort of "compensation" circuity in the output stage.

C32 should be connected to that line its close to, also cr14 isn't connected. weird. But its right on the pcb.

abechap024 said:
EmptyMusicBox1 said:
EmptyMusicBox1 said:
hello

it's normal ?

thanks for your help !

thanks for your help

Hi,
The way the circuit works is my understanding you don't see signal on pin 3 but it is still fully balanced....I think I read somewhere even better then fully balanced as it has some sort of "compensation" circuity in the output stage.

C32 should be connected to that line its close to, also cr14 isn't connected. weird. But its right on the pcb.

thanks abechap024 for your help, i try to find my problem....

if somene have a solution to testing i'm ready !!!!! :))))

thanks

I bought my supplies over a year ago and am finally getting around to putting it together.  I'm using DBX 200 black VCAs and was hoping to hear from anyone who has done this build with DBX cans successfully.  Is there anything that needs to be jumped, or altered aside from the things listed in the manual?  Thanks.

HI Guys,

having an awful time trying to get +/- 15v ono the psu, the R100 and R101 dont seem to function?
There are a couple of very small holes near c7 and c8 but dont seem to connect to anything? is there something im missing here to adjust the psu?
i have built the pcb as per the instructions, must be something really simple!!!!

also the two diodes cr41 and cr42 seem to be open circuit? i have changed these twice but when taken both diodes out they are fine?

my mind is boggling!

any help would be fantastic please.

regards

Spence.

Hi,

Getting input noise now, but a very muffled distorted sound, square wave type of sound.
Would the cuplrets be the output transformers? Or the ic'c?
Is there am easy way of testing this?
All voltages seem good now, I have changed the NE5534, TL082, TL071 but not the others.
Suggestions welcomed.

Regards

Spence.

Spencerleehorton said:
Hi,

Getting input noise now, but a very muffled distorted sound, square wave type of sound.
Would the cuplrets be the output transformers? Or the ic'c?
Is there am easy way of testing this?
All voltages seem good now, I have changed the NE5534, TL082, TL071 but not the others.
Suggestions welcomed.

Regards

Spence.
Is it your source that makes that noise or is it independent?  If it's the source,  that can often be a solder joint.  IC can cause it too, among other things. I'd look for a schematic that lists test point voltages so you can try to pin down the general area of the problem.  Take a slow look at all the components to check joints, direction, values, etc.

Spencerleehorton said:
I ment the output transistors not transformers sorry! How can I test that these are good or bad ?
I'm using a mic on the input which is sounding awful, distorted and broken up.

Regards

Spence.
You can test to see if the voltages coming off it are correct (if you have a schematic to reference that tells you the voltages) or, since they're pretty cheap, just replace them.  If desperate, you can remove them one-by-one to see how far "downstream" it is.  If you're using a mic, I trust you have it hooked up to a preamp before it hits the DBX?  If not, the 160 can't properly drive a mic.

Latest posts

Back