CLX-VU Build Thread (DBX 160VU ) UPDATE: REV 3

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting this build together.  Question number 1:

the build manual indicates that R1 (100R) is not needed if using LEDs in the meter.  Does that refer to an LED meter vs a galvanic one or to the LED lamps in the recommended Hairball meter?

Similarly R 125 appears to be the CLR for the LED lamps in the Hairball meter.  It seems like I should add R1 since I'm using the Hairball meter and use R 125 as the CLR.  Is that correct?

hi All,

have finally powered up my unit after much trials and tribulations and put some drums through it and it sounds amazing!!!
clean as a whistle, just gotta set it all up correctly, thanks again for all your patience with me!!!

I have only one issue that could be solved, the left channel has a sticky VU meter, i did change the Vu meter as i thought my other one was faulty but it seems its not the VU meter as this new one does it as well. any ideas anyone?
regards

Spence.

Hello guys !

My clx work fin but i have problem with the Meter, i want t use a LED meter for (only) the Gain Reduction, But the Voltage to 0dbVu is Positiv
When i wire the LED i have many led switch On ...

How i can wire the Meter LED ? Exist a point special for wire it ? I have try a OPA invert but i have a Negativ Voltage ...

can you help me ?

thanks

Here's a pic of the completed unit.  This configuration results in zero hum.  Still hoping to get an answer as to why the "above" LED is continuously it, regardless of settings and calibration.  Everything else works and sounds wonderful.
IMAG1202_zpsfa3186a1.jpg

EmptyMusicBox1 said:
Hello guys !

My clx work fin but i have problem with the Meter, i want t use a LED meter for (only) the Gain Reduction, But the Voltage to 0dbVu is Positiv
When i wire the LED i have many led switch On ...

How i can wire the Meter LED ? Exist a point special for wire it ? I have try a OPA invert but i have a Negativ Voltage ...

can you help me ?

thanks
I have find the solution for the GR meter !

you can use a TL081 at remplacement of the TL071 !!!!!!!! idon't know why but it's Okay !!!! Magic

work great now !

My channel strip is Finish !!!! Thanks for your help !

VIDEO -----> http://youtu.be/x6WfdjwAQu8?list=UUj7ce-6OHzNftRH6PXljZIQ

The project --> http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=51894.0

Hi EmptyMusicBox1
Great piece!!!
I've built this comp but mine is too much fast and i can't use the same amount of compression...
Which VCA have you used?
Thanks

A little off topic here, but...

Does anyone know what's going on with Abe? I ordered a few discrete opamp PCBs from him back in October, but never received anything. He hasn't responded to emails and it looks like his website is down now too.

I'm only out $18, so I'm not furious, but I also figure I can't be the only one. More than anything I just want to know what the story is.

Anyone know what's up?

Sorry for of topic

My name is Anton, I am from Germany and first I have to say sorry for my bad english

but does someone know what happened to Ape?
I searched for a DBX VU last year and found this forum and get the connection to AC Sound.
I ordered 2 PCBs and part kits in September and still waiting for them...
Ape dooes not anwere on any email since Dec...
He told me that if I really want them I can reserve them if I order and pay for them immediatly, so I did.

I can proove my payment via PayPal (was in September), but maybe there is another reason why he does not answere?
I am really start worrying about this situation...
All other Parts already shipped last year and waiting to be completed.

StevesSon said:
Sorry for of topic

My name is Anton, I am from Germany and first I have to say sorry for my bad english

but does someone know what happened to Ape?
I searched for a DBX VU last year and found this forum and get the connection to AC Sound.
I ordered 2 PCBs and part kits in September and still waiting for them...
Ape dooes not anwere on any email since Dec...
He told me that if I really want them I can reserve them if I order and pay for them immediatly, so I did.

I can proove my payment via PayPal (was in September), but maybe there is another reason why he does not answere?
I am really start worrying about this situation...
All other Parts already shipped last year and waiting to be completed.

Hi Anton,

I am in the same boat and it seems that a few others are too - I pre-ordered $120 worth of PCB's from him in August, he said that upfront payment would ensure that I get a set from the order. I followed up with him a few months later as I had not heard anything and I didn't get a reply after emailing him again. He replied on 6 November saying that the order was in transit (on the way to him) and he was sorry for the delay. I was about to contact him the other day and I read that other people could not get in touch with him - which raised alarm bells as the same happened to me with IJ Research/Igor, I have sent him about 5 emails to all the email addresses on the site with no response, I have tried calling him, no answer - but you say you spoke to him in December, which is a bit more recently than me - I would love to know what is going on. I'm disappointed  that the prospect of getting these boards has fallen through and at a loss on my part

dacapitan said:
Hi Anton,

I am in the same boat and it seems that a few others are too - I pre-ordered $120 worth of PCB's from him in August, he said that upfront payment would ensure that I get a set from the order. I followed up with him a few months later as I had not heard anything and I didn't get a reply after emailing him again. He replied on 6 November saying that the order was in transit (on the way to him) and he was sorry for the delay. I was about to contact him the other day and I read that other people could not get in touch with him - which raised alarm bells as the same happened to me with IJ Research/Igor, I have sent him about 5 emails to all the email addresses on the site with no response, I have tried calling him, no answer - but you say you spoke to him in December, which is a bit more recently than me - I would love to know what is going on. I'm disappointed  that the prospect of getting these boards has fallen through and at a loss on my part

Ok, so I am not the only one...  :( I am disapointed too. I spend so many in this project ... taxes in Germany are intense.
He seemed to be a reliable person to me. I still hope that there is a reason for his behavior and we all get what we ordered.

Is there a thread or something else where I can keep me up to date if there is any change forseeable?

StevesSon said:
dacapitan said:
Hi Anton,

Ok, so I am not the only one...  :( I am disapointed too. I spend so many in this project ... taxes in Germany are intense.
He seemed to be a reliable person to me. I still hope that there is a reason for his behavior and we all get what we ordered.

Is there a thread or something else where I can keep me up to date if there is any change forseeable?

Yeah he seemed like a nice chap -  Maybe he is on vacation or out of reach of email - we can only speculate. I guess all we can do now is keep mailing him/wait for him to reply.

Hope all you guys will finally get PCB's from Abe...

I waited almost 3 months to get my PRR176 rev boards but i finally got them

Hi all,

Asked this before, I have a sticky meter, have swapped the meter for another which works fine in other equipment and still sticks?
Is there something to look for if a meter does this?
Could it be the diodes?

Regards

Spence.

Great news! It seems as though Abe is back online... These are the comments on the AC sound facebook

"Sorry Everyone. We are working through the delays and have been in the middle of solving some personal issues. We will make sure everyone gets taken care of. Again sorry for the lack of communication and non response to emails."

Back