CLX-VU Build Thread (DBX 160VU ) UPDATE: REV 3

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah 8)

The beast is alive...
Found all the problems and even figured out the calibration (with a little help).

A few pics... :D

Attachments

• EEAED2AF-3406-4EF3-8ABA-1EC999ADACD9.jpeg
    EEAED2AF-3406-4EF3-8ABA-1EC999ADACD9.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 100
Even did some A/B/C with Waves and Behringer Wing...
Awesome how the beast sounds

Attachments

• 1B3A1CC8-0CB5-4EAD-8129-301D78DE819E.jpeg
    1B3A1CC8-0CB5-4EAD-8129-301D78DE819E.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 54
Hallo
Have anybody good dbx vu scale from -40 till +20db.
In wite background with blue letters and numbers?

Something as in this picture

Please upload if you have. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• new dbx scale.JPG
    new dbx scale.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 52
I make this one. Same size for Hairball/Don Audio meter

Attachments

• new dbx scale custom blue.jpg
    new dbx scale custom blue.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 56
Hi,

I'm looking for VU's for this project.
The Cutout of the case measures 47mm by 19mm and need to be 1mA or 10mA DC

Any suggestions ?

Hy
I have 2 more vu meters over as from hairball audio. 8027-WF 1mA
I will not build second clx mail me if you need 2.
They are new. Only tested. I can send pictures if you need

I'm totally stuck on this project, one of the board doesn't put output and with the working board I can't get the 4:1 ratio calibration.

Since the manual is not clear enough... I think it's a waste of a project...

BerndVP said:
I'm totally stuck on this project, one of the board doesn't put output and with the working board I can't get the 4:1 ratio calibration.

Since the manual is not clear enough... I think it's a waste of a project...

Aw man, that's a shame...  I've completely backburnered this project for the foreseeable future, but I had high hopes for it whenever I got around to finishing it.  It certainly doesn't help that this thread doesn't get much input anymore.  Wish I could help.

I’m sorry for the frustrations...
I know this is over 10 years old now...
I visited this week ‘Roel’ who did post in this topic about his working unit.

But when looking at his unit that was working...
We got stuck to...

It’s sad that people who build this unit doesn’t react anymore.
That would be very helpfull

Hi
I am going to build the CLX-VU, is there a mouser B.O.M for ordering the parts, aside from the PCB's, meters, and case. Is there also a place to order the push button switches?
Any information will help. I see from looking on this project discussion a lot of the links in the beginning of this discussion are broken.
Thanks, Tony

The BOM can be found in the build guide.  I’m not sure if anyone has a ready-to-go Mouser cart for this one.  EDIT: looks like you’re in luck with the post below!

The push button switches can be ordered from Hairball Audio.  I think Frank at frontpanels.de also has them, although I can’t remember if he stocks the one with the power switch as well.

AW said:
Hi
I am going to build the CLX-VU, is there a mouser B.O.M for ordering the parts, aside from the PCB's, meters, and case. Is there also a place to order the push button switches?
Any information will help. I see from looking on this project discussion a lot of the links in the beginning of this discussion are broken.
Thanks, Tony

I built mine a few years ago, so I'm sure you'll need to update a few parts, but below is a link to my Mouser Project for a CLX-VU. It looks like you'll need to double it if you're doing a pair.

Pushbuttons came from Hairball Audio. I bought the dual case from Collective Cases.

I've never shared a cart before, so let me know if you run into any issues. I've attached a spreadsheet in case.

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=f39015ace6

Attachments

• Project_CLX-VU.pdf
    97.7 KB · Views: 31
I was looking for a scale with a bit more fidelity, so I traced it as a vector. Pdf with options for CLX-VU and DBX attached.

Attachments

• CLX-VU Scale.pdf
    115.2 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for that mouser link, I haven't purchased anything yet I want to research everything on this build before I start, looks like an easy build, I have built hairball kits,  the GSSL, and the LA2A so far.

JMan said:
The BOM can be found in the build guide.  I’m not sure if anyone has a ready-to-go Mouser cart for this one.  EDIT: looks like you’re in luck with the post below!

The push button switches can be ordered from Hairball Audio.  I think Frank at frontpanels.de also has them, although I can’t remember if he stocks the one with the power switch as well.

An did you got you're calibrated?
Because the PDF isn't really that good

BerndVP said:
An did you got you're calibrated?
Because the PDF isn't really that good

I haven't tried yet.  I got this project almost fully complete, but then I got busy with work and distracted by other projects, so I haven't come back to it.  I'm very curious to see what will happen when I try to calibrate, though...I had heard that this one was an easy build and a difficult calibration, so I'm not looking forward to it really. 

It's weird, the build manual is so detailed, I'm surprised that you have found the calibration section unhelpful (I believe you, though, since I haven't done it yet).  Personally, I don't have a benchtop signal generator or oscilloscope, so I'm really hoping I can get by with my DAW and my multimeter...

Did you ever get yours to work?

Latest posts

Back