Where to find the most expensive part - the carrying case?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scodiddly

As usual it looks like the single most expensive part of the project is going to be something cosmetic, in this case the cool-looking case to carry it around in.

Any ideas where I can find a nice-looking case to hold something about 2 feet long but only about 5-6 inches wide?  It's my linear-array piano mic thing, which I'm finally starting to actually build for sale.

Have you looked into gun cases? I used one for a synth a while ago, and it's been very handy for that, and foot controllers, etc....

I'd love to see generally what you have come up with.  I've been going back to wanting to build a mic with multiple elements over a long rod that will mount under our marimba.  I'd like to be able to balance the elements and feed them all through only one pre.

Bad timing!  I just gave away two new aluminum synth cases with embossed skull and crossbones pattern- 28x14x7.

Try the local Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.  And it is almost garage sale season.  There are all sorts of empty guitar cases and vintage luggage around.  Actually, you will see the luggage on the street as a result of spring cleaning.
Mike

OK, so the product is a couple of nice-looking wooden bars, each about 24" long by 2" wide by 1/2" thick.  Plus a little wad of wire, and a 1x2x4 BUD box.  I've been using 3" PVC pipe to hold the bars, and a bag with pockets around the pipe for the other bits.  But I'd like something classy that fits nicely.  If only Pelican made a case for a sawed-off shotgun or something...

Some good suggestions there, I'll check them out.  I don't think a bow case will likely work, though.

I need to clarify further:  This is for a product, not for my own use.  I won't be building these in bulk any time soon, either.

But I'm going up against the Earthworks system for sound quality.  This is the mic system I now prefer for live shows instead of the usual pair of AKG 414's.

Hey, found something very promising in a map/blueprint case.  $28 for something with a ~27 inch long tube, with an outer leatherette carrying case with pockets.  I'll know next week when it gets here.

Back