Whistle Rock Audio - HZ51X Recording-DI - BUILD/HELP thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefatom

HZ51X Build & Help

Project's Original Thread

Documentation

1 - HZ51X BOM

2 - HZ51X SCHEMATIC

3 - HZ51X FPE DESIGN

HZ51XPCB_4_LRG.jpg

HZ51XPCB_3_LRG.jpg

HZ51XPCB_5_LRG.jpg

Next post is reserved for assembly tips/help.

About the Basic Kit

1- The basic kit contains a small hardware baggie with the following:

• 4 x SEMS screws.  These are for mounting the PCB to the bracket.
  • A U shaped heatsink for the voltage regulator U1
  • Hardware to mount the heatsink to U1.  The insulator is optional but don't forget the thermal paste!

2- The PCB sockets for the Hi-Z Plugins must be press fitted in their holes.  Use the rubbery handle on a pair of pliers to push them all the way against the PCB if needed.

3- Use single core wire and some heatshrink tubing to mount the LEDs from the PCB to the panel.  22 gauge wire will do.

4- Watch the orientation on the relays! They are marked at the top.

5- Even though it's not critical, try to line up the Neutrik input jacks as best as possible.  They are meant to hang over the PCB a tinny bit by about 0.5mm.

6- Try to get the switches to be as parallel as possible to the PCB.  There are 2 plastic tabs at the bottom of each switch that are meant to sit on/touch the PCB.  You'll know that you have the switches installed right if both of them are touching the PCB.

7- Installing the switch caps will require some force but be gentle... ok?  Use a drop of soapy water if required.

8- Check your supply voltages for each IC at the IC sockets BEFORE inserting the ICs.  You should read 5V at pin 14 of U7, pin 14 of U8 and pin 16 of U6.  This may require a special test rig which I suggest you put together if you're planning on building more 500/51X series projects in the future.  Otherwise, if you like the thrill of potentially f'ing things up, install all ICs and slide your shiny new HZ51X in a 500/51X rack, do the smoke test and hope for the best...  :p

9- For 500 series use only: Cut off the extra 51X tab.  You may omit C12, C13 and D13.

About the Hi-Z Plugin Kits

1- Regarding the passive Jensen/Cinemag Plugin:  Try to mount the TX as close as possible to the plugin PCB.  Every 1/2mm of height counts.

2- The 6.8K resistor is not required if using the Cinemag TX.  Install it only if you're using the Jensen TX.

3- Check your voltages at the sockets before inserting the active Plugins.  Same deal as point number 8 in the previous section above.

That's all I can think of right now but I will come back to this post and add some photos and more tips if I think of any more or someone else brings them up.

Snatchman said:
Nice..How does it sound..?

It sounds like whatever Hi-Z plugin you are using through whatever preamp you choose to use it with.
Check the original thread for my thoughts on the different Hi-Z plugins.

Cheers,

Mike

well done mike, took me a *very* leisurely 2 hours (i stopped to make and drink a chocolate malt, if that's any indication of pace ;D).  those sockets are top notch, wish i would have known about them 24 preamps sooner!

for when everybody else starts in, the sockets aren't terribly tough to get seated but i'd suggest putting them in before you mount the jacks.  not very difficult to do after the jacks either, just would take less maneuvering to do it beforehand.

Mike  it all went together well took me longer then 2 hours. Lots of gain from the active plugins. Very high quality kit!

Thanks

Attachments

• P1020813.jpg
    P1020813.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 106
Hi, i just pulled the trigger on a 51x rack and psu.

Does the Jensen Hiz plugin available now, somewhere ?

Hey nuts,

You will find the Hi-Z plugin PCBs/Kits from Classic API.  The Jensen transformer must be purchased separately.  I do have a couple of Cinemag DI transformers available if you're interested.  These are very nice substitutes to the Jensens.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Mike,  i thought there was a full kit like the others hiZ plugins.
So i have a chance to grab them with my VP26  kits i think.

Depending of where you live i'm not sure it will be cost effective to ship a single Cinemag to France.
But i'm interested yes, i understand they are a little less expensive than Jensen's. I will ask to Volker too.

I was sold on the Mooktronics DI before i seen yours...nice idea you had. I want both now :)

Back