Lorlin Or Grayhill Switches? Opinions?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so this has been been bouncing around in my head for a week now......it's driving me nuts.  The more I think about the logistics of the greyhills, the more I start to lean back to the lorlins.

Even if I do though I run into the same problem with the F2UEE pushbuttons I was going to use as they're right angle.

The new problem I'm trying to tackle in my head now is the various enclosures which will inevitably be used.  I can deal with the structural issues, however the heights of the different enclosures vary, so trying to line up a board mounted to the bottom of the enclosure with holes in the front panels will vary with enclosure brand..... urgh

mrclunk said:
chrispbass said:
Without trying to dilute the original question too much  :), is there much difference between lorlin type switches. I've seen some made by alpha (usually light blue). How do these compare with actual Lorlins in terms of feel/quality?

I prefer the feel of the Alpha types (from Rapid) Its a slightly lighter action than the Lorlins but with more of a chunky switching action.
As for quality i've no idea...

Thanks for the info Paul

ruckus328 said:
The new problem I'm trying to tackle in my head now is the various enclosures which will inevitably be used.  I can deal with the structural issues, however the heights of the different enclosures vary, so trying to line up a board mounted to the bottom of the enclosure with holes in the front panels will vary with enclosure brand..... urgh
But if you design a faceplate that mates with premade cases, then you know what height standoffs are needed. Didn't you plan for parmetal and modushop cases for the SB4000? Those seem to be the most popular, at least here.

OTOH, if you decide to go with Lorlins, you can make a vertical control board for them (like the SB4000 and GSSL, etc), and either stick the F2UEE's together on another horizontal board to the left or right of the vert board, or, if the F2UEE are to be mixed in with the rotaries, you can use vertically mounted toggles. But, I just changed your design, sorry. :)

And for the record, I like Alphas too.

Latest posts

Back