Power One, Condor, SL Power, International power PSUs Difference???????

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37518

Ive always been intrigued by whats exactly the difference between Power One, Condor, SL Power and International Power PSUs when im about to buy one. Ive owned at least one of each, and to be honest they look exactly the same to me, perhaps some component brands are different in one than the other, this is also due to the age it was manufactured, but aside from slight variations they all look like exactly the same thing but with a different brand on the top, even the model numbers are almost the same, some are the same, however the prices vary too, sometimes even as high as 20dlls for a power supply that seems to have exactly the same model, specs, rating, etc...

Anyone?

I suspect they are the same, but they certainly dont cost the same, nor the International Power PSUs, its like redundant company over and over and over....

The physical aspects of all those open-frame linear supplies are identical for any given voltage/current output, and from what I've seen, the circuits are nearly identical as well (723 regulator, etc).  I have no clue why the pricing varies so much from one brand to another.

I've always wondered which company was the first to introduce the modules, and which companies followed later with clones.

Best,

Bri

There is no difference in their linear supplies except PCB layout and some component choices.  They are all high quality solid units.  I experience all of them in builds and maintenance.
Design at least a 30% overage and go for the best price.
Mike

Having recently purchased a few to make a PSU for my baby trident 65(16 Channel), I can only agree with with what has already been stated... But I will add I like lambda for no real reason other then price is usually less expensive then the condor's or others  with the same specs

sodderboy said:
There is no difference in their linear supplies except PCB layout and some component choices.  They are all high quality solid units.  I experience all of them in builds and maintenance.
Design at least a 30% overage and go for the best price.
Mike

Agreed.  But I like Power One's tech support.  International and Condor's support is non-existant.  I've called Power One many times for help with mods for their supplies. They send me schematics and lengthly emails on exactly how to perform mods.

Thank you all for your answers, well its a no brainer that they are all the same PSU, or almost the same, but i mean its so weird to find exactly the same product with so many different brands on it, are they all part of the same company, or are they just clones?, the price tag is what really confuses me....

If im not mistaken the Condor/SL are like the most high end, power one being in the middle, and international at the bottom. From the power supplies i have right here, 1 is a condor, 1 a power one, and 1 international, the condor has metal film resistors and Nichicon caps, while the International has 5% carbon resistors and "Kung Fu" caps, however i must reckon they are from different times, the condor i got it NOS, its from 1985, and the International is new, however eventhough theres around 25 years of difference between them, both seem to be basically the same thing. Its so weird... However i did notice that my Condor 1985 PSU has a 2N3055 transistor, whilst the new International has a 2N3773 instead...

Regardless of all this, all of them are extremely great PSUs, i love them, not 1 has failed on me, i wish i could say the same thing about the stock PSUs on my MCI, in fact i would replace my MCI PSUs with Power Ones if they just had a +/- 32V model ;(

Thanks for that info David, any idea who distributes the Powervolt PSUs?

P.S. Im a big fan of your store....

Newbie question here...

What are some recommended ways to mount these open frame linear PSU's in external cases?

I bought two (so far) with the intention of making an external PSU for a 16 channel Yamaha PM-1000: a 48V 3A Condor (for the channels) and a 48V .5A Power-One (for phantom power). I will probably pick up one more, maybe a dual output supply, for the PM-1000's 12V and 13V rails (headphone amps and VU lamps).

I thought it would be easy to find some kind of pre-made enclosures for these PSU's, but I guess not, or I'm looking in all the wrong places..  ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

These are indeed not in the most straightforward form.

IIRC, depending on type/make/version these can come with exposed transformer-contacts. Some have covers while others don't. Be sure to cover those if you're heading for a low profile metal enclosure.

regarding these PSU's, has someone found a way to effectively dampen the buzz/hum of the transformer of this power supplies?, I was talking with Brian about this subject the other way, seems like it doesnt matter how much insulation, dampening, or neoprene you use, these power supplies will still make a cabinet resonate with hum/buzz.

These PSUs are awesome, i just cant stand the electromechanical induced noises

Ideas?

Back