Cloth covered mic cable?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra50

Hi!

Has anyone found a good source for good cloth covered cables?

I'm looking for a reel of something that would look the part when restoring vintage microphones.

Cheers!

Stewart

> restoring vintage microphones

For "SERIOUS" work, for casual recording, or for shelf display?

I suspect no shielded cloth has been made in decades: plastic is so much better.

There may be some in a back-room, but where? (Here is an obvious place to ask.)

I've thrown out some, long ago, pretty nasty dirty.

For some recording situations, try UN-shielded cable. Low-Z mikes in low-EMF rooms can sometimes get away with this. Or at least 10 feet at the mike in the middle of the floor, then go to shielded to get past all the power-lines around the console.

http://www.sundialwire.com/numberofconductors.aspx

cat_conductors_3.jpg

3-CONDUCTOR 18-GAUGE GOLD RAYON PULLEY CORD - by the foot - Price:  $1.50
W183RPGDXXMNF_bottom.jpg

i know i've seen more than this...at the moment it looks like
not many choices

www.tubesandmore.com/

check out their  wire & heatshrink  section

i can't remember where i saw a site with more selection, but it was
one of the guitar amp parts suppliers, i think.

Here's a european source for clothcovered cable:
http://www.tubes.it/

The cable has a layer of PVC, with the cloth layer on top of this. (This goes for the cable from Tubesandmoore also.) The cable from Tubes.it is a little thinner and might be easier to work with inside a microphone.

I sometimes use a cotton sleeve (shoestring on a roll) to cover modern microphone cable to get that "classic look"

I get this sleeve from a local shop that sells fabrics and chords and laces and stuff like that.

That may be an option for you as well.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the ideas - cotton sleeve sounds like a great idea as I can use my preferred cables.  I'll check out our local fabric shops.

:)

Back