Weiss 102 desks, anyone has experience with these?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.frad

Hi  there!
A buddy and I recently acquired a Weiss 102 mastering desk, see here:
http://www.weiss.ch/102/102.html
It's an early version with 16bit 44.4/48kHz processing and a hardware remote.
It has the highpass filter, the Dynamic section and the parametric EQ.

It's really nice when it boots correctly but it has problems starting up, freezes, doesn't lock...
I have to boot it several times before it starts responding.

I'm already in contact with Daniel Weiss and he's being extremely helpful.
I'm about to send it back to him for a checkup but before I do that I wanted to stop here and ask if anyone had ever experienced booting problem with theirs.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for reading me!
Jules

Yes, we had one of those at Whitfield St Studios (Sony Music). It had the same problems too. If I remember correctly, the older cards had timing problems, also the power supplies tended to be a problem. (we replaced at least 3!!) We upgraded all our cards to 32 bit in the end, which was a lot more reliable.

Daniel is great and I'm sure he will sort it out for you.

Hi walrus!
Thanks for the tip.
I'm still invertigating the PSU. The problem I have is not really about clocking, it's more about the remote that has trouble communicating with the main frame. I'm not sure it is related.
best
jules

Yes, I remember that problem well.
I think the trick was to turn on the main frame, note if it powered up the remote working (or not), if not then turn off the main frame and as soon as the  (display backlight) "whistle" from the remote stopped, immediately turn the main frame back on.
I'm not sure if we ever got to the bottom of why it wouldn't power up first time. Generally it was left on!

Thanks for the tip!
I'll have to try that.

It's good to know I'm not the only one, thanks to you I might be able to stop booting it 10 times in a row!
My problem is that I can't leave it on, but I'll find a solution.

Back