good source for tiny little machine screws in USA

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemini86

Those tiny little things used for mic capsule mounts, bodies, etc. Where are you getting them from? In the USA preferably...

I don't know but it sounds small,
edit:for mounts and bodies it is probably too small, for the threaded hole on the capsules, it might be about right for building a wristwatch
2-56 is pretty small--as small as I could try to thread with these heavy hands
4-40 is not too small, good for bodies and mounts but too big for those threads in chinese capsules

I just pickued up some 4-40's tonight, lowes has them in brass and steel, which is nice but that's as small as they get. They work great for inner body stuff, but I was looking for some smaller stuff for the outside. I like how AKG uses set screws to hold the body sleve in place, I might try doing something like that for my next build. I'm lucky to have a friend that just bought a lathe/mill combo. :D

You may have some luck at true value hardware .... I've seen some pretty small gauges there (a lot smaller than 4-40)

cheers,
dave

Little screws are hard to find, but I have had good luck at the following two online sources.

1) McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/
2) Grainger http://www.grainger.com/

Both have pretty good online catalogs, and Grainger has a "pick up" location in my town which saves on shipping, especially when I order sheet aluminum and large things.

Anyway both have a good selection of machines screws, and taps (so you can tap your case) and in smaller sizes than you have any prayer of finding at the local hardware. The problem I usually have is trying to get a primer on the metric screw standards (m2.5, is a bit smaller and finer than 4/40) I know 4/40 is #4 screw at 40 threads per inch, but on the metric side, I don't know what the numbers mean, or if the numbers mean anything, so matching a screw can be difficult.

For sheet metal screws they are good too.  And MMCar has a good primer on the site about what the differences are between self tapping and all the other flavours.... etc.

Now for the little Neutrik plastic xlr mounting screws ("plastite" screws), I had to go to Mouser and buy a bag of 100 from Neutrik through Mouser, but it was about the same price (like $12usd for 100) as the screws I tried for this from MM Carr (which were too big and cracked the xlr housing)

Hope this helps.

looks like you might have a fastenal (or even two?!) in your area, they have a pretty respectable catalog and good pricing.  they didn't have m3's on hand when i stopped in but were able to get them in store within 2-3 days.

Found this page with detailled charts and good explanation about measuring and understanding 'alien' threads ;)
http://mdmetric.com/tech/tict.htm

Actually the whole site Maryland Metrics seems to be pretty interesting for you guys accross the pond, though it's so big than browsing seems not that easy...

Axel

Hobby shops are a good spot to pickup small parts. Brass ,aluminum angle for brackets and screws washers and nuts.

Speedskater said:
If you only need a few, dis-assemble an old SLR film camera.

It's funny you should say that because I just did a couple weeks ago. Then again the little buggers are unidentifiable but I'll have to try one in my Chinese mic body to see if it's a fit.

Old CD or DVD mechanism, VCRs, K7... They are filled with miniature screws... Mostly metric size, since made in the far east...

For identification, get yourself one of those cheap digital caliper that has the inch/mm switch, a magnifier (to count the threads), and the documentation I posted above.

Axel

I'd make some phone calls to the local fasteners dealers and ask what is the smallest sizes they stock and how they break them out... I go locally to Fastenal and Tacoma Screw who stocks some of the stuff.

Eugene Fastener & Supply Co

A.N.Co Fastners

Fastenal

yeah, I spoke too soon...the old geezer behind the desk "matched it up" to the wrong screw, of course it came in a little plastic bag of 10 so I couldn't make sure it fit when I was there... BUT after taking some measurements of the damn thing I believe it to be m2X.4 thread. (this was an mxl 990 body). I was trying to scavenge the body parts that I could for this project to cut down on the metal work I would have to do myself, but it's starting to look like I'm wasting more time chasing these stupid little screws around than actually building this mic. I did know about Eugene Fasteners, but they're only open during my work hours, and now the wife has taken the only car out of town for the weekend...looks like I'm going to hop on the bike tomorrow and get some exercise.

Latest posts

Back