B9A tube right angle mounts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

As part of a discussion on another forum I came across this:

srpp1.jpg

I was intrigued by the little PCBs that allow B9A tubes to be mounted at right angles to the main PCB. It occurred to me that this could save a lot of space in some applications e.g. a tube based API 500 mic pre module.

So my questions are; are these little PCBs available already or do I have to design one and if I do who else would be interested in them?

Cheers

Ian

I doubt anyone makes one, since you're designing a PCB anyway
This method has been used by art, behringer and soundskulptor. As well as the g7 tube mic. Pretty much the only way to build a tube circuit into a small space.

gemini86 said:
I doubt anyone makes one, since you're designing a PCB anyway
This method has been used by art, behringer and soundskulptor. As well as the g7 tube mic. Pretty much the only way to build a tube circuit into a small space.

I first saw them in the Vintec Mega Tube Console but I was not aware Art, Behringer et al used them too.  Seems it is common enough then. Here's a pic of a quick PCB layout I just knocked out. It is 1.2 inches square.  Looks like it would cost about 1.25 GBP each at 100-off.

B9ArightanglePCB.png

Cheers

Ian

Haha thats funny I just made some of those last night for a project. Got the idea from some behringer and DBX equipment.

Great on saving space. having some 1 RU tube projects will be nice. Only concern is heat...

Joechris said:
Something like this would be nice :)

they do exist...I saw these at moosapotamus.net...( under ideas/alembic 2fb)
socket.gif

it says He got them from Angela instruments, but I can't find them there...?..
J

michal_k said:
I'd like a few for 1.25gbp each!

Since they are only about 30mm square, the shipping cost for a single one would be quite high, but for 10-off I would think it would be possible to break even at 15 GBP shipped. To get that price we would need 10 people each taking 10 each.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Johan said:
it says He got them from Angela instruments, but I can't find them there...?..
J

I have sent them an enquiry with a copy of the link to the picture. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Ian

And here's the reply from Angela instruments:

Ian,

They're gone. That's the nature of the surplus/N.O.S. biz.

Steve

So it looks like we are on our own. So, anyone interested in a group buy?

Cheers

Ian

Rob Flinn said:
ANyone considered just mounting a conventional socket on a piece of angle aluminium ?  Seems like you could just point to point the thing that way & it might be as/more simple ?

That's not a bad idea. I am sure there must be a suitable aluminium extrusion out there and it will be much stronger than a right angle header. All you would need to do is cut off a suitable length, drill fixing and tube socket holes and away you go. Bolt it to a PCB and you have the added flexibility of point to point wiring to the PCB plus you could also include grid stoppers with ease. Nice idea; I like that.

Edit: And you can easily fit screening cans too.

So, where's the best UK source of aluminium extrusion?

Edit: Actually, all we need is aluminium angle; doesn't have to be extrusion.

Cheers

Ian

It depends on the dye used, color etc... the aluminum oxide itself can sound quite nice, but I prefer black anodized, but the dye has to be carbon comp or it looses character.

....carry on.

Rob Flinn said:
Not entirely sure how much it would improve the sound quality.  Maybe we could visit I high end hifi forum & get an opinion ;)

To be honest, I was not thinking about how it would affect sound quality, just how durable it would be and perhaps a little more professional looking. That said, I would be tempted to use some sort of shock proof mounting of the tube base to reduce microphony.

Cheers

Ian

Back