G7-problems installing new capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapin

I thought I was making an idiot-proof change but apparently not.  I was installing my new Beez Neez capsule in what was a working G7 microphone, and now my signal level has decreased to almost nothing.  I've resoldered my connections a couple of times, but still get the same result.  Any suggestions for something I might have messed up.

Thanks,
Ron

Hey Ron, I might try putting the original capsule back in to see if you haven't created a new problem. This has helped me with similar mic problems in the past.

I recently finished up a long-awaiting G7 with the Beesneez capsule and it sounds amazing.

Swapped a cheapo capsule into the circuit and got nearly identical results.  Still getting low levels.  

I remeber bumping one of the 1G resistors with my iron.  I just checked it and it left a scorch mark.  If that resistor were damaged, would it cause the output drop?

depends on which one, but I imagine if it's now open you might have a problem. the capsule may not be referenced to ground, the tube may not be referenced to ground, either way I don't see any good coming from it. Too bad a VOM won't tell you if it's still good  :'(

I would try re-soldering the different components that might of been stressed during the change and cleaning the board of all flux/oil and  see if that doesn't help

Latest posts

Back