Using st. Ives line input transformer in front of pultec

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldsnow

The st. Ives line input transformer from the 1073s can be wired 1:1 at 2.4k:2.4k.  Would i need any adjustments to the gyraf pultec circuit on the input?  Thank you

Coldsnow said:
The st. Ives line input transformer from the 1073s can be wired 1:1 at 2.4k:2.4k.  Would i need any adjustments to the gyraf pultec circuit on the input?  Thank you

No, it should work fine. The only thing you might notice is a slight loss of extreme bass response due to the lower inductance of the transformer.

Cheers

Ian

What about using that transformer to balance the input of a DBX 161 (sorry if it is off topic)

Hi Ian,
The DBX 160 is balanced electronically and the 161 has the same circuit board but the input part is unpopulated
and it is unbalanced or at least my unit is like that
http://www.dbxpro.com/vintage_download.php?product=161
Thanks
francois

ubxf said:
Hi Ian,
The DBX 160 is balanced electronically and the 161 has the same circuit board but the input part is unpopulated
and it is unbalanced or at least my unit is like that
http://www.dbxpro.com/vintage_download.php?product=161
Thanks
francois

OK. I just searched for the 161 schematic and it had the balanced input but of course they can easily omit it for a different version. I just checked again and I find that what I actually got was the 160 schematic. So, the 160/161 User manual says the 161 has an input impedance of 25K which means the a2K4:2K4 transformer will be fine. Alternatively you might like to look to see if the same transformer can be wired 10K:600. This would give a standard balanced bridging input and knock the input level down by 12dB allowing the unit to handle hotter signals.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back