New Consoles

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zayance

GDIY Supporter
White Market Member
I just ran on some news that you maybe already seen it:

Harrisons new analog console, no SMD, Manual PCb layout etc..., price is from 8000 to 13000$ i think.

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=130&Itemid=1

And here is SPL new NEOS Console, ok it's design is maybe off the hook, BUT am i missing something concerning the Price  ??? :eek:  just faders and that's that....

http://recording.org/content/704-spl-neos.html

zayance said:
Harrisons new analog console, no SMD, Manual PCb layout etc...,

I am not quite sure what they mean by manual PCB layout but I bet it is not hand taped!

They also mention the use of gold Euro Card module connectors. These have quite a high insertion/removal force which probably explains the handle at the top of each module.

Cheers

Ian

Harrison certainly looks solid.
Best bits the keyboard / mouse tray, genius! :)

The SPL's price may be more related to marketing rather than a production cost, i.e it needs to be thought of as the best in the market...
Seems like silly money to me but then i'm tight...
Some sort of recall would make it worth it maybe, handy for itb summing/mixing. (and unique?)

ah the modern way to record. Small mixer size console and a daw :'(

I like that harrison, seems well thought out. could make a good side car but I already got that baby trident.

+120v rail-to-rail, eh? I guess people who buy them don't realise that a doubling of voltage equates to 6dB...  ;D

Justin

ruffrecords said:
zayance said:

I am not quite sure what they mean by manual PCB layout but I bet it is not hand taped!

They also mention the use of gold Euro Card module connectors. These have quite a high insertion/removal force which probably explains the handle at the top of each module.

Cheers

Ian

Probably just didn't use an autorouter. Come one, who doesn't like sitting for hours routing every trace by hand? It's like a gigantic cross-word puzzle, only if you get it wrong, you just wasted a bunch of time and money on PCBs that don't work.

gemini86 said:
ruffrecords said:
zayance said:

Cheers

Ian

Probably just didn't use an autorouter. Come one, who doesn't like sitting for hours routing every trace by hand? It's like a gigantic cross-word puzzle, only if you get it wrong, you just wasted a bunch of time and money on PCBs that don't work.

I think you are right and in practice there is little risk in routing by hand using modern CAD. It will easily check you have complete connectivity in exactly the same way it would if it had been auto-routed. Design rules checks ditto. I route all my tube designs by hand - its the only way.

Cheers

Ian

Hmmm...  Fixed "Tone Controls" and a Solo Listen button.

Mike, didn't the MR4 have that stupid solo listen bus nonsense? Man that thing was a clunker.  It was noisy and brittle on a good day.

ruffrecords said:
gemini86 said:
ruffrecords said:
zayance said:

Cheers

Ian

I think you are right and in practice there is little risk in routing by hand using modern CAD. It will easily check you have complete connectivity in exactly the same way it would if it had been auto-routed. Design rules checks ditto. I route all my tube designs by hand - its the only way.

Cheers

Ian

I route everything by hand. Then I save and clear all my traces and run the autorouter to see where I could save a jumper or via. Then make changes accordingly.

It's unfortunate but I must have one of those Harrisons! I even like their PR data: we have no ribbon cables, we route our PCB's manually etc. I mean who cares except absolute studio geeks like us. It's like they asked me what my experiences from desk modifications are.

That keyboard/mouse area is brilliant and I like the fact they did not try to modernise the form factor and kept things nice and big.

Kingston said:
desol said:
Why wouldn't they include a phase switch?

one of the first things they try to point out: designed to complement a DAW. In my opinion phase switch is the first one to go.

Is that not a Phase switch under the Pad switch next to the Gain knob?

-Casey

Latest posts

Back