Op Amp Upgrades - Meta

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tested a lot of different op amps in many different applications, and found that, most of the time, it can make a huge difference. For example, in the GSSL you can get rid of a lot of grain and constricted low end by replacing the 5532/5534 in the signal path with certain modern op amps.
I do measurements all the time (THD/IMD/SNR/frequency) using quality converters, and these differences usually don't show up in the data. They're not down to imagination however, mixing the inverted modified with the unmodified channel with music produces a differential signal. A high quality testing station would probably tell you more about whats actually going on.
Which op amp works best is entirely down to the individual application and should be determined by measurements and by ear. In my console a rather cheap modern dual op amp subjectively sounded (and worked) the best by far in the position of a TL072 for and EQ, much better than all the pricy modern FET op amps in tried there.

Yeah, I've had some success up grading a few things around here as well.  Nothing has been plug and play.  I have to normally take care of some oscillation but it is well worth it!

The effort is worth it normally. 

Latest posts

Back