U87 capsule to be rebuild.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3nity

I was given this capsule from a friend. he changed the capsule and almost thrown the old one.
Do you think its a good idea to rebuilt the capsule? or does not make sense since there are other capsules options?
Thanks

Hi,

Thirsch are not expensive to reskin, and they are very good. Dont believe the interweb bullshit. My freind only repairs mics for a living. He is very busy, and uses Thiersch for just about everything. He has not had any returns.

just my penniesworth.

ANdyP

Me too!  I have 4 old U87 capsules that were given to me after having been replaced by Neumann.  More info from those that know, please!
Best,
Bruno2000

I guess the question is 'what's wrong with it?'.  Are the diaphragms damaged and beyond cleaning?

. . . .better ask Thiersch . . . they are very friendly and helpful. They always give a reasonable timescale for work, and each time have been way in advance of it for me.

ANdyP

I had both sides of an M7 re-skinned by Thiersch.
The cost was 102 EUR.
It sounds about as fantastic as a capsule can sound.

If you're looking for a Canadian alternative, Doug Walker @ Walker Microphones does very good work.

Located in Cambridge.

I have a reskin U87 here that sounds great.

Walker Microphones
Condenser Microphone Repairs, Condenser Microphone Capsule Rebuilding, Ribbon Microphone Repairs.
Contact Name: Douglas S. Walker
Phone: (519) 654-0070
Email: [email protected]

Mark

culteousness1 said:
One person that comes to mind is Andreas Grosser. He is known as the neumann guru here.

Grosser will just say: send it to thiersch, he doesn't do capsule reskins
thiersch is good !

e.oelberg said:
culteousness1 said:
One person that comes to mind is Andreas Grosser. He is known as the neumann guru here.

Grosser will just say: send it to thiersch, he doesn't do capsule reskins
thiersch is good !

Thiersch recently turned down a reskin job (original M48) with an abrupt email to a very well known studio in the US, saying he was "too busy".
They may be very good, but................
Best,
Bruno2000

3nity,

I second Thiersch for capsule reskinning.
He saved a number of Neumann capsules from beeing discarded :p
This includes a triplet of my old K67 capsules, too.
Quality is top notch...

Did you see my U47 type mic?
The K47 - Capsule in it has been skinned by Thiersch. Sounds f**king awsome.
Check the gallery link in this thread.
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=44088.0

Thiersch - Highly recommended!!!

Chris

Slightly off topic here but Doug Walker informs me he no longer works on ribbon microphones.
I was hoping to avoid cross border repair hassles and was hoping he could service my BK-5.
Apparently he just has too much work repairing condenser microphones.

strangeandbouncy said:
Hi,

Thirsch are not expensive to reskin, and they are very good. Dont believe the interweb bullSh*t. My freind only repairs mics for a living. He is very busy, and uses Thiersch for just about everything. He has not had any returns.

just my penniesworth.

ANdyP

+1

He´s done 5-6 k87 / k47 capsules for me, great work and reasonable price.

Latest posts

Back