GPIB Software / How-to

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owel

I'm interested in learning GPIB.  I found a GPIB-USB adapter ($149 @ sparkfun) that will work with Macs/PCs/Linux but what software do I use to make 'scripts' or programs (or whatever they call it). 

I found Labview but it costs several thousand dollars. Are there cheap software alternatives?

That brings back memories (most of them bad) of working with old HPLC lab equipment with Hewlett Packard and Perkin-Elmer.  Why on earth would you want to do that?

1. To automate testing.
2. Because it's there to learn.

Why on earth do people stuff components, solder, learn electronics when they can just buy stuff?  ;D

VEE is an option

http://www.pmillett.com/hp_8903_software.htm

i've read that some people have had compatibility issues with the sparkfun GPIB adapter and some software packages, so research before you buy.

ed

Kind of new to these forums, so haven't had much to add.

Back in 80's and 90's National Instruments was big in GPIB, don't know if they still are.  They had quite assortment of languages and suites.  My exposure was from the film recorder side, no pun intended.

David

Thanks for the responses. I did have Pmillet's link.
Rochey, no I don't have an AP... just an 8903B with option1.
I looked at software prices for VEE, and Labview and they're eye-popping. I don't need a full-fledged suite like that, so I think Pmillet's program will do for now... though still want to understand how to write them. ... hoping I can find used/old version VEE for cheap.

i haven't looked at the command set for the 8903 in a while, but with the sparkfun GPIB to USB dongle if you get a terminal program you can build scripts to send the commands to the 8903 to do a series of measurements and just capture the data as text on the terminal.  feed that data into excel and you have graphs.

if you are comfortable accessing the serial port you can use any general purpose programming language to send the commands and receive the data, then process it into graphs.  most of the work comes in figuring out the commands and timing, and then what to do with the data.

some of that work is done for you in environments like labview or vee that have profiles for the instruments built in and graphing functions.  but as stated in the sparkfun faq, pmillet's program (and most others you'll find) were written for the national instruments GPIB controller and won't work on the sparkfun one without some modification.

ed

Back