Poor Man's Pultec EQP1-A

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
michal_k said:
a pair for me for sure. what's the width of the pcb? will it fit 51x front panel(1.5'')?

It is currently 2.1 inches wide and 1.5 inches high so it should fit in a 1U rack. Of course, there is no reason why you should not mount it the other way to make it 1.5 inches wide and 2.1 inches tall but I don't think you would get two of them plus four pots in the 3U height of a 51x module. For that it would probably be better to do a design for a  right angle mounting rotary switch. I think Lorlin do some but I have not tried them.

Cheers

Ian

OK, here is the Version 4 PCB layout. I have checked the footprint for the switch against the Lorlin, Alpha and RVFM parts. They all have the switch contacts on a 22mm or 22.2mm diameter and my footprint has them on 22mm. The wipers are on either 7.7mm or an 8mm diameter and my footprint has them on just under 8mm diameter. Pin sizes are 1.1mm and recommend PCB hole sizes are 1.4mm and 1.5mm so I have gone for 1.5mm so there should be plenty of slack to accommodate slight differences between switch manufacturers. I printed the layout onto a sheet of paper and offered up an Alpha switch to it and pushed its pins through the paper and it fitted dead on so I am fairly confident the layout is correct. However, before I go ordering 100 GBPs worth of PCBs it would be nice to have a little insurance. Someone mentioned making their own PCB so I would be happy to provide the gerber files to anyone who wants to make their own in exchange for confirmations that the rotary switch fits OK.

Any takers?

Cheers

Ian

PMEQP1ApcbV4.png

ruffrecords said:
I think Lorlin do some but I have not tried them.

The Lorlin ones seem good quality but i couldn't get them anywhere in MBB (for pre's)but don't think that matters here?
Oh they are also stackable, so could build a stereo version easily.
I can send u one to play with if u like?

Attachments

• lorlin 12p.jpg
    lorlin 12p.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 48
Cracking stuff!

I've been away for a couple of days and I come back to see this is nearly ready to go! Well done guys.

I'd love two sets.

Rob Flinn said:
mrclunk said:
The Lorlin ones seem good quality but i couldn't get them anywhere in MBB (for pre's)but don't think that matters here?
Paul, look in the RS catalogue ;)
Not sure if i see em...
You talking about these wafers.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/1742676.html
Think the part number means its shorting but i thought the same before ordering whole switches from farnel.
(The switches are half the price at farnel)

mrclunk said:
ruffrecords said:
I think Lorlin do some but I have not tried them.

It shouldn't matter as there is no dc to worry about.

Oh they are also stackable, so could build a stereo version easily.
I can send u one to play with if u like?

That's a very generous offer. I'll PM you.

Cheers

Ian

[/quote]

mrclunk said:
Rob Flinn said:
mrclunk said:
Paul, look in the RS catalogue ;)
Not sure if i see em...
You talking about these wafers.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/1742676.html
Think the part number means its shorting but i thought the same before ordering whole switches from farnel before.
(The switches are half the price at farnel)

Paul never search on line it just doesn't find things

Try these numbers for a metric shaft.  They're not pcb mount but work if you cut the eyelet off with a pair of snips !
320-714
320-720
320-736
320-742
or if you prefer an imperial shaft
327-664
327-664A
327-670

ah no not those horrid things!
Sorry think we have our wires crossed, i was talking about this type
http://uk.farnell.com/lorlin/pt6434-bmh/switch-1pole-12-pos/dp/1123674
(rs do them also)

Ian, i started out down the post office and then realised the ones i have are 1pole 12pos not 2pole 6pos...
sorry.

OK, looks like we are good to go on the PCB. The list of people who have expressed an interest in a set (2 PCBs) at present is:

Code:
ej_whyte              2 sets
Joechris              2 sets
Albrebreton           2 sets 
chrispbass            4 sets
culteousness1         2 sets
strangeandbouncy      2 sets
michalk               1 set
mylesgm               4 sets
zebra50               2 sets
tomugli               2 sets
Kamel                 4 sets
Audiohammer           2 sets
guze                  2 sets
Andreas Pfeiffer      2 sets
noulou                2 sets
mrclunk               2 sets
Holger                2 sets
Matthew Jacobs        4 sets
danijel               4 sets
Grooveteer            4 sets
kante1603             4 sets
0dbfs                 4 sets
3nity                 2 sets
Hank Dussen           2 sets
Citrus Hill          10 sets
baadc0de              4 sets
bovox                 2 sets
menigu                1 set
Michael Tibes         4 sets
Ptownkid              1 set
Davo                  1 set
tzman                 2 sets
MathisD               2 sets
benlindell            4 sets
gevermil              2 sets
hodad                 2 sets
peterc                2 sets
desol                 1 set

Total   101 sets = 202 boards!!!  OK that's it. I have now placed the order. Price will be 5 gbp a set (2 pcbs)

Cheers

Ian

Edit: added Kamel, Audiohammer and guze
Edit: added Andreas Pfeiffer, noulou. mrclunk, Holger, Matthew Jacobs and danijel
Edit: price reduction to 5 GBP per set
Edit: chrispbass +2 sets, added Grooveteer, kantel1603 and 0dbfs then 3nity and Hank Dussen
Edit: added Citrus Hill, baadc0de, bovox and menigu
Edit: added Michael Tibes, Ptownkid, Davo and tzman
Added: MathisD, benlindell and gevermil
Edit: added hodad, mrclunk+1set, peterc, desol

Latest posts

Back