Poor Man's Pultec EQP1-A

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffrecords said:
OK, looks like we are good to go on the PCB. The list of people who have expressed an interest in a set (2 PCBs) at present is:

Code:
ej_whyte              2 sets
Joechris              2 sets
Albrebreton           2 sets 
chrispbass            4 sets
culteousness1         2 sets
strangeandbouncy      2 sets
michalk               1 set
mylesgm               4 sets
zebra50               2 sets
tomugli               2 sets
Kamel                 4 sets
Audiohammer           2 sets
guze                  2 sets
Andreas Pfeiffer      2 sets
noulou                2 sets
mrclunk               1 set
Holger                2 sets
Matthew Jacobs        4 sets
danijel               4 sets
Grooveteer            4 sets
kante1603             4 sets
0dbfs                 4 sets
3nity                 2 sets
Hank Dussen           2 sets
Citrus Hill          10 sets
baadc0de              4 sets
bovox                 2 sets
menigu                1 set

Total   79 sets = 158 boards!!!  This is unbelievable! Let me know if there are any errors, corrections, additions or deletions and I'll aim to order 160+ PCBs next week which will definitely bring the price down to 5GBP a set plus shipping.

Cheers

Ian

Edit: added Kamel, Audiohammer and guze
Edit: added Andreas Pfeiffer, noulou. mrclunk, Holger, Matthew Jacobs and danijel
Edit: price reduction to 5 GBP per set
Edit: chrispbass +2 sets, added Grooveteer, kantel1603 and 0dbfs then 3nity and Hank Dussen
Edit: added Citrus Hill, baadc0de, bovox and menigu

Ian, would you like any money upfront seen as the quantity has increased somewhat? :)
C

zayance said:
However, before I go ordering 100 GBPs worth of PCBs it would be nice to have a little insurance. Someone mentioned making their own PCB so I would be happy to provide the gerber files to anyone who wants to make their own in exchange for confirmations that the rotary switch fits OK.

I'm a little late but Still need someone to test this out? Maybe i can help let me know.

Sent you a PM.

Cheers

Ian

mylesgm said:
Great!  I have a large selection of 600:600 transformers and only a few 10k:10K so this will be excellent.  What about using a non 1:1 transformer though?  I have quite a few 600:1200 tx that would be nice to use and though I could use them as output could I use them as input as well?  if so what should the strapping resistor be?

The input impedance of the EQ is about 50K ohms so all you need to do is add a resistor across the transformer secondary which, together with the EQ 50K is equal to the transformer secondary impedance. For small secondary impedances up to about 1200 ohms this essentially means using a resistor as close as you can sensibly get to the secondary impedance. So for a 1200 ohm secondary use a 1.2K resistor.

Cheers

Ian

chrispbass said:
Ian, would you like any money upfront seen as the quantity has increased somewhat? :)
C

Nice thought but this is a great community and I trust the people here. What I will do though is ask for payment as soon as I have placed the order. It is not until then that I get an invoice with the actual cost and I think we may well have another price reduction to come. I have to pay for the PCBs up front so getting payment soon after ordering will reduce my exposure. The other thing is I have yet to sort out the postage costs. At the moment it looks like a flat rate of 1.00GBP for UK, 1.50GBP for the EU and 2.00GBP for the rest of the world would be the most straightforward. Then there is the old problem of Paypal fees.

Cheers

Ian

Ian I think you should find out the cost per board and then add a nominal fee to cover the paypal fee.  The price per pcb is so low I don't mind adding a few extra dollars per set to cover the cost of paypal etc and there should of course be some return for yourself and the work you have put it into this.  You said the cost might be as low as 5gbp per board, why not charge 7gbp per board plus shipping?  thats still a great price.

+1

add paypal fees to the total price and why not shipping as Gustav do.

this project seems to be perfect for a tube console  ;)

ruffrecords said:
zayance said:
However, before I go ordering 100 GBPs worth of PCBs it would be nice to have a little insurance. Someone mentioned making their own PCB so I would be happy to provide the gerber files to anyone who wants to make their own in exchange for confirmations that the rotary switch fits OK.

I'm a little late but Still need someone to test this out? Maybe i can help let me know.

Sent you a PM.

Cheers

Ian

PM received

Sent you a MAIL  ;D

mylesgm said:
Ian I think you should find out the cost per board and then add a nominal fee to cover the paypal fee.  The price per pcb is so low I don't mind adding a few extra dollars per set to cover the cost of paypal etc and there should of course be some return for yourself and the work you have put it into this.  You said the cost might be as low as 5gbp per board, why not charge 7gbp per board plus shipping?  thats still a great price.

At the moment the price is 5gbp per SET of two boards so I guess that means it is already a great price  :) So if everyone is happy with that I'll leave it at that.

I think I have a handle on shipping and I discovered that if people select a 'gift' when paying by Paypal they pick up the charges themselves and I get the full amount.

Cheers

Ian

Michael Tibes said:
4 sets for me please if it's not too late...

Thanx,

Michael

Just in time Michael. zayance is doing a test etch on Monday and if that is OK the order will go out Tuesday 19th April.

Cheers

Ian

ppa said:
I think yes, but first I would like a group buy if there are enough people that want them,
My target is a group buy for at least 50 PCB's, with 50 PCB's ordered I can make a very good price per board, but with 100 is much better. I think with a group buy for 50 pcs I could do 11 euros per board,  and  with a group buy for 100 pcs 9 euros per boardThe problem is that the dimensions are 173 x 102 mm and for these dimensions the prices can not to be cheaper, even if however the project is cheap.

The good thing is that several sound engineers prefer having the double section: solid state and tube section in the same chassis.

Maybe start a new thread for this...

radiance said:
ppa said:
I think yes, but first I would like a group buy if there are enough people that want them,
My target is a group buy for at least 50 PCB's, with 50 PCB's ordered I can make a very good price per board, but with 100 is much better. I think with a group buy for 50 pcs I could do 11 euros per board,  and  with a group buy for 100 pcs 9 euros per boardThe problem is that the dimensions are 173 x 102 mm and for these dimensions the prices can not to be cheaper, even if however the project is cheap.

The good thing is that several sound engineers prefer having the double section: solid state and tube section in the same chassis.

Maybe start a new thread for this...

yes, I am going to start a group buy to another thread

Latest posts

Back