Poor Man's Pultec EQP1-A

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G-Sun said:
ruffrecords said:
I deliberately made the EQ and tube gain make up PCBs slim enough to fit in a 1U case. I believe several people are building stereo EQs in 1U rack mounting cases.
Mmm.. Excellent :)

Note, however, that the PSU PCB was designed for a different project and will not fit into a 1U case.

Cheers

Ian

G-Sun said:
If I'd go for a cheap option, leaving the transformers and tube, would it be easy to later upgrade the unit with those parts?

It would be easy to upgrade to input and output transformers. However, the mains transformer would have to be changed if you went from semiconductor gain make up to tube gain make up.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian!
Think I'll wait a little and see how it goes with that mid-eq. Would be ideal to have it in.

Has anyone compared the sound of the Poor Mans Pultec with the original/Rich Mans Pultec ?

G-Sun said:
Has anyone compared the sound of the Poor Mans Pultec with the original/Rich Mans Pultec ?

Good question but I don't know the answer. It is not a completely fair test because the poor man's does not have the inductive hi boost - it uses a simpler RC network to save money. The 3 band Pultec board I designed would be closer as this does have an inductor based hi boost. I know Pierre likes the 3 band Pultec but I don't know if has been able to compare it with the original.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
G-Sun said:

Good question but I don't know the answer. It is not a completely fair test because the poor man's does not have the inductive hi boost - it uses a simpler RC network to save money. The 3 band Pultec board I designed would be closer as this does have an inductor based hi boost. I know Pierre likes the 3 band Pultec but I don't know if has been able to compare it with the original.

Cheers

Ian

I never had the chance to touch an original pultec so i can't compare.
The eztubemixer card i used for the amplifiers is solid by itself...
so i don't know if it sounds the same, but it's certainly a high end eq!

Pierre

Back