noise /hum /hiss/ mastering advice

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
babyhead said:
Is the distortion the clipped waveform thing?

no looks pretty good to me but what do i know  ;D heres a pic you tell me

cheers lads for the advice

skal

Attachments

• pic.png
    pic.png
    144.4 KB · Views: 19
Run a 0db 50hz sine wave through your setup and then record it. Zoom in and see if it's still a sine wave. Look at this in your spectrum analyzer and see if its pure sine. Maybe even listen. Try it with a square wave too. Its a poormans recording scope... This will tell you all kinds of things and help you zero out your mastering chain.

The phenomenon I'm referring to happens when the leading edge of the waveform gets clipped by the compressor, causing a distortion. I vocalize that sound with the lowest pitch I can say the letter 'V'. (The high frequnecy version being like trying to say 'pffttthhhh' through pursed lips.)

Try it first with the settings you were and after a few second, zero it out to where you have 0db on the input, no compression. Then stop the tone and let it run if you can. Check that waveform, too.

The spectrum analyzer is whichever is built into your DAW. You'll need this for mastering. T-Racks... 

Back