Fighter MIG Preamps, Can it be used as a regular mic pre?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedrocruz

Hello,
Ive been told that this preamps are nasty and they were used in the Migs Fighters as communication preamp. Nowadays they seem to be used mainly on Hammonds, so i was wondering if they are usable for microphones, especially to get them overdriven...

Here is the info on this preamp...
http://www.keyboardpartner.de/hammond/diagrams/MIG-T/mig-t_instructions.pdf

Cheers!
All the Best
Pedro

No, it's just the tubes used that are said to have been used in the MIG.

The preamp drawn is designed for an electronic organ or such.

In general (and imho), these low-voltage tubes are rarely really good for audio.

Jakob E.

nice document. I have seen plenty of guitar pedals using similar low voltage miniature tubes. Google "Le Craquement Thermionique" for a good example of a distortion.

I guess if it's distortion you're looking for that hammond overdriving preamp might be a good effect also.

gyraf said:
In general (and imho), these low-voltage tubes are rarely really good for audio.

Jakob E.

I Believe thats the beauty of it... I would like to have a really lofi, excited preamp... The idea of it not being suitable for these days, its what turns me on actually... Although im a f$%&ing noob in electronics and i cant see what could be done to make it workable to preamp a mic... :( Ignorance is a shiit...

But thanks for your replies guys!
Cheers!

gyraf, my props to you and your amazing work man!

Back