Ground loops

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autophase

Ill bet this question has been asked a million times so sorry for that. I dont need an explanation of ground loops I would just like to know how effective the commercially available solutions are.
the 2 I have been looking at are
1. A mains distributor board which also claims to eliminate ground loops and provides a clean power supply.
2: a ground loop isolator at the audio connection point. Ie between the speakers and the audio interface.
any advice would be greatly appreciated

Autophase said:
Ill bet this question has been asked a million times so sorry for that. I dont need an explanation of ground loops I would just like to know how effective the commercially available solutions are.
the 2 I have been looking at are
1. A mains distributor board which also claims to eliminate ground loops and provides a clean power supply.
It's a very suspicious claim. Unless it has disconnected ground connections (which is forbidden and dangerous). Now one could argue that connecting all mains leads to a single multiple distro box eliminates longitudinal noise, but this would not work as a system-wide solution.
2: a ground loop isolator at the audio connection point. Ie between the speakers and the audio interface.
It may work if it's located between the audio interface and the power amp or powered speakers. But it would be efficient on unbalanced connections. Balanced connections are inherently immune to ground loop effects.

There is no "ground loop isolator" that would go between an amp and speakers.  You must mean active monitors.
An in-line XLR barrel or box ground loop isolator is either simply not wired pin 1, or it also has a transformer.

If you are talking "balanced" mains power distribution, then yes, it will eliminate ground loops.  Manufacturers usually require all cable shields to be connected to fully realize the benefits.  Any claim to also "clean the power" IS dubious, unless the system also includes an AC isolation transformer.  Any power conditioner or stabilizer will not necessarily prevent ground loops.

You would never need both, and a small (less than 1600 VA and 2 TTY patchbays total) setup needs neither if proper wiring rules are followed.

Mike

Latest posts

Back