Par metal steel + AL 1RU for psu?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Songguy

Hi all,

Quick question. Just got in a par-metal steel 1RU to make into a PSU (psu kit from fivefish) for my EZ1084eq. I neglected to realize that the back panel is aluminum. Is there another way for me to place the star ground or do I need to go and buy a steel back panel?

http://www.par-metal.com/product-rmc-10series.php

Thanks,
Chris

Hi ruckus!

I've only used all steel cases before.

Im not sure if I need to worry about ground continuity throughout the chassis. So I can place the star ground on an aluminum panel? I thought that not being of ferrous material might be an issue.

The large mains lines coming into your house breaker are aluminum, they seem to work okay.

Seriously though, most of the time, metal is metal is metal.

Yes, power transmission cable is aluminum - though not quite as conductive per volume than copper, due to much lower cost it's much more practical at the gauges required.

You're fine - your aluminum back panel is actually at least 2x more conductive than your steel pieces.  Of course still prone to some level of oxidation as is any metal, and steel to rust, personaly preference would be the aluminum.  Just be sure to scrape off any coating on the aluminum at the star ground location so you have a good metal to metal contact - anodize is not conductive.  Same goes for around all the screw holes on all of the individual enclosure pieces.

Indeed, I've run into situations where the coating on the metal (paint, powder coat, anodizing) prevented one of more of the metal "sections" from having electrical contact with other sections.  IOW, a metal panel was literally insulated from the rest of the box due to the paint/whatever.

Best,

Bri

Brian Roth said:
Indeed, I've run into situations where the coating on the metal (paint, powder coat, anodizing) prevented one of more of the metal "sections" from having electrical contact with other sections.  IOW, a metal panel was literally insulated from the rest of the box due to the paint/whatever.

Best,

Bri

I've been through that as well. These days I put a lock washer around one screw somewhere between each section and tighten it until it digs into both sections. That works great.

ruckus328 said:
Yes, power transmission cable is aluminum - though not quite as conductive per volume than copper, due to much lower cost it's much more practical at the gauges required.

well, also the heat dissipation factor... I was just stating that aluminum is quite sufficient for conducting electricity, in most applications. One thing to look out for is corrosion between a copper and aluminum connection, but that's also usually only seen in high-current situations.

Adam Smith said:
Brian Roth said:

Best,

Bri

I've been through that as well. These days I put a lock washer around one screw somewhere between each section and tighten it until it digs into both sections. That works great.

I use a Demel bit....

Best,

Bri

Back