$300 to build Vocal mic preamp...which one?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dejacky

I have about a $300 budget for a new vocal mic preamp that will be used with a Sennheiser e835 and Marshal MXL V77 mic. What are some good DIY options in this price range? Someone recommended I just buy an ART ProChannel, but I thought I'd be able to build a better preamp...is it plausible? Thanks in advance!

I agree - The G9 is very good if you can stretch to it. I think the case and transformers are the most expensive bits.

If you can salvage a case from somewhere then maybe you could build the stereo version, but leave off the transformers and tubes from one side until you can save up enough to complete it.

Agreed. Do a G9. It's an easy build, just make sure you do some research on working with high voltages (safety concearns). I just started working on my second. Forget the ART idea all together.

The green might be a good one to start with for solid state. The G9 would be good for tube.

Wow..since so many are recommending the G9, it looks like I should build this beast. I'm reading the meta and researching how to build it now...I can stretch my budget a little...like $350 if need be. Any other advice? :?:

I can't believe no one's mentioned the 312!

You can definitely build one for less than $300 a channel. And it rules for vocals!

312 or project 2 can be cheaper
but in both cases it comes down to the parts chosen.

G9 is a dual tube based pre
cheap tubes are available
it will need two input and output audio transformers
and
a power transformer OR double transformer combo
it is a large PCB

312/P2 is a Gain Block based pre
must have at least an input trafo
so many combinations on this one
could even be assembled to a working model with only a 5532/4 as a gain block.

see the various pages about the 312
Fabio's
JLMaudio 99v and schems .. and kits
Both Peter's
Dan Alexander has most of the original brochures and schems
Nat has a lunch box

even Tim Ryan at seventh Circle(kit) has an option here

errr
there was a bloke named Pat that ... :shock: ...shut up Kev

[quote author="kato"]I can't believe no one's mentioned the 312!
You can definitely build one for less than $300 a channel. And it rules for vocals![/quote]

The G9 is also pretty sweet on vocals. It might be cool to know what your recording format is.
Most of the 312/Project2 units will get above 18-20dBu but the G9 might not, so this could be an influence on you.

I'm recording ditigal into my DAW. My signal change is the following:

Preamp --> RME Multiface A/D (24bit/88.2khz)--> DAW

If you could put together a JLM99v for around the price, that would probably be the thing I would chose to build out of everything that everyone has mentioned (I havent heard a G9 yet) as for me, the way I configured it, its proven to be WAY more flexable than everything else people have brought up. Matching a preamp to a vocal can be very tricky, so dont expect to build one thing and have it work for everything. 312's are awesome, but they rarely will work on a vocal in my studio with a 99v sitting in the same rack. Guitars, thats another story.

dave

Wow,
this JLM99v seems fantastic. It would be easier for me to build since it's in a complete kit form I can purchase and it has instructions. I'd rather start with a non-tube preamp now anyways....I just feel that pairing a tube mic with one of these tube preamps isn't always versatile....just pondering.. :razz:

The JLM99v does offer some options
as does any of the Project2 styled units

Joe can help with all the details and there will be a DIY Factory page very soon.

If you have the budget and feel you can go this way with the need to learn on a cheaper project like the Green MK1 then this could be it.

Get a couple of kits from JLM and look to some variations of trafos and Gain blocks perhaps. Single block or the dual servo ... or transformerless output will give subtle variations.

The biggest variation may come from the input Mic-trafo.
you have three immediate choices
OEP. Lundahl, and JLM ... outside that there is still more to chose from.

Joe even has some universal from panels and boxes to chose from.

JLM Audio ... there is no substitute .... :green: ... shameless plug Kev

Oops, I got the Groove Tubes "the brick" preamp for $350. Was it a good deal or did I make a mistake? I'm assuming everything you guys mentioned is much better performing preamps considering my max budget is $350?

hmmm.. I guess I'll take that as a "no, your purchase was not a bad one for the money." :razz:

Hi there,

Soundguy wrote :
312's are awesome, but they rarely will work on a vocal in my studio with a 99v sitting in the same rack. Guitars, thats another story.
Please soundguy (or anyone with info !) :
what are for you the pros and cons of each pre for vocals and guitars ?
what kind of guitars are you talking about: clean, distorted, etc...
I am building 99V channels and plan to use them as my main pres, that is for vocals and e-guitars in a rock-heavy style of music.
Thanks for any info you might give.

Latest posts

Back