Difference between A*P*I opamps 2*5*2*0 and 2*5*1*0

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhartung

From I've read on the API website, the 2510 runs at a much higher rail voltage (+-36V) and the 2520 runs lower (around +-20V). In schematics that I've seen, the 2510 is most often used do unbalance signals from sources and the 2520 is most often used to drive transformers. Is this accurate?

Can a 2520 be used in place of a 2510 as long as the voltage rails were lower?

Thanks

Mike

[quote author="rafafredd"]I think the 2510 is a dedicated balanced line receiver. Probably unit gain.[/quote]

How interesting. Does anyone have a schematic?

I tried to Google for it, only to find that A* P* I* 2510 is also the model number of a petroleum pump of some kind. It drowned out everything else.

EDIT: Okay, I found a better search string, and all over the place, the 2510 is being referred to as an op amp. It may just be a variation, or an earlier revision.

Look at figure four. This is a balanced line receiver using a 2520... I think it should sound good, but the CMRR is probably not one of the strong points in a design like this...

http://hps.infolink.com.br/rafafredd/api2520_02.jpg

> the 2510 runs at a much higher rail voltage (+-36V) and the 2520 runs lower (around +-20V). In schematics that I've seen, the 2510 is most often used do unbalance signals from sources and the 2520 is most often used to drive transformers. Is this accurate?

Accurate? Who knows? The guys who designed this stuff are hidden in history.

Reasonable? Probably.

Output: Audio transformers are happiest when low-Z, and in transistors current is cheaper than voltage. So a transformer driver would logically be designed for modest voltage, and the windings adjusted for any load impedance needed. 40V transistors are cheap enough to make this a good target value.

Input: you have to take what the Real World gives you. These days it is rarely over 10VRMS, but back when tubes were fading it was not unknown (though uncommon) to run some lines at +14dBm VU, which is around +30dBm on peaks, which is about 70V peak-peak. Which will just fit inside +/-36V rails. Or to see 10V or 20V of common-mode voltage when things go against you: the common-mode plus the signal could be up in the +/-36V range.

Is there anything here in the LAB that could replace a 2510 (not counting chips), rather a discrete circuit?

thanks,

Mike

hey...

I asked about the 2510 a while back - didnt seem to be much info about as I remember...

Tekay has a balanced line rcv ckt that I thought could be used in its place, but -atm- it's a single +24V rail version. There was a thread for a +/- alternative I started but the design required a whole lot more r+d and I really didn't have the knowledge to go any further with it...

Latest posts

Back