Ribbon motor frame.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just noticed problem #1, the holed on the sides of the frame are meant for mounting the magents, which have a centered, countersunk hole for a #4 flathead screw. I was planning on tapping the frame so the magnets would screw directly to them, but how the hell are you going to get a screwdriver into that 1/8" gap, especially if there are two 28lb magnets on either side... DUH... I'll have to rethink that one.

Aren't you affraid your magnets to be allowed to rotate ?
You could make a tiny slot in the  threaded end of the screw, so you could screw it from the outside. It would have to be well done, to have enough torque.
Good luck !
PS: I made one once, I glued the magnets to the frame with epoxy glue. So far so good, it's still in place two years later...
Laurent.

The magnets would be 1/2 inch wide, so they would butt up against the top and bottom of the frame securely. I suppose you could also just glue them in place, shouldn't be a problem. How wide was the ribbon you used? I'm thinking about dropping the width down to 1/16th.

there... version 2.0 hold the magnets more securely. The holes on the sides are now to be used to put a screw through the outside to hold the magnets in place like a set screw once they're inserted into the frame. The added material doubled the cost, but for a one-off that's still really good.

Hi, if everything fits tightly enough, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I didn't know this Shapeways stuff, it seems interesting for a one-off custom machined part...

Latest posts

Back