Scale Layouts in Front Panel Designer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Franklin

Hi everyone,

I've done a lot of front panel layouts in photoshop and inkscape and I usually use this site to generate scales for around rotary switches and pots: http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Scale.html

I'm planning on getting something knocked up at front panel express and I'm just wondering how you guys are doing this in front panel designer?

Thanks,

Nick.

Pretty sure you need to export the scale as HPGL and import that HPGL file into Front Panel Designer.

-Casey

Nick Franklin said:
Hi everyone,

I've done a lot of front panel layouts in photoshop and inkscape and I usually use this site to generate scales for around rotary switches and pots: http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Scale.html

Interesting and useful web page, thanks, but what do 'points' convert to in real world dimensions??

Cheers

Ian

The conversion goes, 1 inch, 6 pica, 72 points.  Apparently after a little searching, the 72 points is rounded to 1 inch, the real value being .996264 inches.  Old fashion printing press stuff.  There is probably some molten Lead in there some where.

I'll admit, I was a little stumped when I went to the website.  Seems like a really odd choice of measurement system.  I guess because of the target applications, CorelDraw and Illustrator, it makes sense, points I believe are the standard for dimensions in postscript files.  Take the website's output file inside either program and you can scale to anything you want.

I do know, anytime I've taken a press file to a metal shop, they've just rolled there eyes and charged me extra.

Still, pretty useful.

David

So I looked at the first download, contains a Java (.jar) executable, in German.

Can't make any sense of the English download.  Contains dozens of .class files, and a directory Python, containing more .class files.

Any idea what that's about?

David

That last link works fine for me, maybe mac only? If your on PC, find the translations fot the german in the 2nd link I posted

Cheers

So Casey when you down loaded what did you get?  I got a .zip file, when I explore the file I have 2 directories and 51 .class files.  The directories are META-INF and "org". "org" contains "python", with more directories and .class files.

No where can I find a .jar or .js file.  I know the URL says I should get a .jar, but when asked if I want download, its asking if I want to save jskala_english.zip.

David 

I count 4 Java runtime environments/updates. I could probable remove 3 of those, but who cares about a few 100 Mb these days.

The German version downloads and runs fine.

I've tried IE8 and Opera 11, under Windows XP.  Going to switch operating systems and see if that makes any difference, probably will at that.

David

Ok, so I did the download under Linux, and got a .jar file.  The system recognized it as an archive, so I double-clicked it to see what would happen. Well it opened it and showed the same contents as XP had shown, which makes sense as Java isn't installed.  Copied the .jar file to the XP partition, and rebooted.  Eureka it works when double-clicked under Windows XP.  I renamed the .zip to a .jar file.  It works now to.

Solution: rename the .zip file to .jar

Mmmm...

David

Yeah, renaming does often work...i still can't wrap my head around why it says .zip for you in the first place though. Glad to hear that you got it working!

Wasn't really thinking archive when I was downloading originally, so I might have figured it out earlier.  I was thinking executable or script.

I don't get the .jar offered as a .zip for download either.

David

A .jar-file is actually a (renamed) .zip-file containing a bunch of java-specific files. So if the web server, your browser or operating system looks into the file to determine its type and what to do with it, it may get treated as an ordinary zip file.

I just clicked the link and it asked me if I wanted to save it. I saved it to my desktop and it saved as a .jar.  I double clicked and voila.  I'm using firefox on windows XP SP3

-Casey

Back