Thinking of getiting rid of my cell and going completely computer...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

It's interesting how little there is on this subject. I use skype for my business on my computer and I really like it.  I have an iPhone and frankly I feel like I am addicted to it and it is wasting more time than it is benefiting...though I DO feel like the benefits are great, I can't help but feel like there is a bit of false importance there. 

Any of you guys contemplated or actually achieved getting rid of your cell phone and just doing everything with Skype and/or google voice?

I'd like to be able to keep my number, so I'm thinking I can get a VOIP service with a cheap monthly rate to port my number and then just skype exclusively.  Heck-I could even just get one of those wireless internet cards for my laptop and if I actually need to make a call on the road I could just do it on the computer. :)

two of the guys in my band have iphones anyway so they can be the navigators. ha!

I thought we were moving towards using our cellphones as a computer...

Gustav

To be fair, in europe it is a lot easier to live without a cellphone. Since most people still have a landline and it is usually cheaper to call using a landline (or so it was a few years ago... Things are starting to change).

As an American........ Life without a cellphone in the states was really rough, i mean not many people still had home phones in the group of friends i had... Some had voip homephones, but that didn't last that long amongst us (18-28 years old group, but this is just from personal experience).  Now, if the tool is in the way, get rid of it, but if it's not and you can control it, keep it and use it... That's just my advice.  Nothing wrong with an iphone, just don't download so many apps!

Self-control is key.

mista min said:
To be fair, in europe it is a lot easier to live without a cellphone.

which country? there are 50 in europe.

In the more developed part of Europe landlines are completely disappearing. In fact Scandinavia got an early start and only larger businesses still have landlines, and even those might be virtual.

Well...I"m not sure that we "need" cell phones nearly as much as we think we do.  I book and manage my band, and I'm on the phone constantly, but at the end of the day I think that a very small percentage of those calls HAD to happen then.  I think that the calls could have just as easily have been routed to google voice and I could call them back at my convenience.  So much of my business (not all) is handled over Facebook now...

It's not the apps that are getting me-it's checking facebook and email every 5 minutes that is the time suck.

I am going the other way where I am leaving the MacBook at home more often and accessing different clouds from the iPhone.  My wristwatch and camera sit on a shelf too.
I don't do eff-book much- but i DO get phantom vibrations in my pocket, even when my phone is locked in the car.
Mike

Kingston said:
mista min said:
To be fair, in europe it is a lot easier to live without a cellphone.

In the more developed part of Europe landlines are completely disappearing. In fact Scandinavia got an early start and only larger businesses still have landlines, and even those might be virtual.

Well, in Germany, Austria and all of the eastern european countries i've visited (from my personal experience) most people still had a landline number. I believe this is still so in France and also in Spain (Idk about the portugal and the UK........ I believe italy is the same, but have no clue).  Still, what i mean is that people still have cellphones.  But that i've met some who don't use it except to receive calls and when they need to call they use their home phone, but this is just my personal experience, by no means factual data :)

Cheers!
Marcos

Kingston said:

Yes, I hope we (Germany) are part of the "more developed" countries, and we've still got landlines everywhere and they aren't going anywhere. In fact, they are constantly getting upgraded, since landlines mostly provide internet combined with VOIP phone connections.

I wouldn't buy anything sold by Apple, but couldn't imagine not owning a cell phone as well as having a landline for phone and internet.

Latest posts

Back