API 2510?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know where I got this from, so no claim for correctness...  ;)

Scott Liebers is building and selling a redesign here.

Attachments

• API 2510.gif
    API 2510.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 433
they run on +&- 28 V

all surface mount

the original ones do not stand up to heat very well
the pins connecting to the card inside go bad

we have an API legacy with them all removed and replaced
with SA690 s    nice.

kazper said:
pucho812 said:
so it's the same pinout?  

I believe it's a single inline package or simply just a row of pins.

hmmmmm. O.k. client/friend gave me 4 api 525 compressors to rack for him. He wanted them to run at 24V.  They were missing op amps most likely pulled to keep other gear working  at his studio from a former tech.  SO I hope. Anyway These were said to be original, yet there is no 2510 space on the board, just 3 X 2520 places. API says their new comps are designed like the orginals and that they have 2510's In them so I am lost other then I am thinking these may be 525C's. I saw a 525C schematic on dan alexanders website and it had 3 X 2520's

kazper said:
pucho812 said:
so it's the same pinout?  

I believe it's a single inline package or simply just a row of pins.

yes, it's a simply a single inline package with a row of pins, it should be a good idea for a DOA

pucho812 said:
does anyone have any info on this op amp? how close is it to a 2520?

late to this (shows how often I visit)

The story I was told long ago by Mr. Wolff was that the 2510 was derived from another opamp api made for a time called a 2525. 

The api 2525 had the same form factor and pinout as the api 2520.  API produced a number of consoles full of 2525's...  I rebuilt one of these - a 1604 and it sounded pretty sweet - much faster with less midband clutter.  2525's came along at the time api introduced the "Gold Seal" consoles,  the last hurrah for API until Paul took it over and made the big Discrete Series desks.  Most of the Gold Seals sold into Japan it seems.  Some or all went out with 2525's in them. 

But 2525's had a problem.  The output stage was not always fast enough to keep up with the input and second stage.  This was device dependent so entire batches would have very high failure rates while others are still ticking along to this day.  The 2525 was abandoned...  it could have been fixed but API was fading and why bother at that point.

When Paul was looking for a smaller faster amplifier to use in the 550-S module (the ones that fit into Sony MXP3000 consoles) he stripped the large output stage off the 2525 and the 2510 was born.

The 2510 can't drive much of a load...  5K is about as low as you should go and the higher the better.  The 2510 conceptually was a good thing.  They sound pretty good and can be used, with some care, in many places in a console or other product where you don't have to drive anything serious like a transformer.  They run on higher voltage rails and draw less current.  They are compact.

and here are a couple really early ones that were never potted, just found them in one of my parts drawers (trying to weed things out) and that is how I stumbled into this thread

Attachments

• neverpotted.jpg
    neverpotted.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 314
we'll see...  time keeps on slippin' slippin'

Jens pointed out some later versions to me that were ALL surface mount... 
these are apparently the first or a very early early version when they were being dipped in black glop - before the little plastic boxes

Latest posts

Back