Opinions of ATC SCM-100 or Tannoy little gold 15 ? or DIY ATC K100??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 10827

thoughts welcome...

Of course they can not be compared as they are very different from one another, but any views welcome, i really just want to listen to my mixes in the house, and would like some thing bigger than i have currently, Rogers 149mk11.

Best
Pete

Hi Pete,

ATC. you wont regret it. I know that there are many that love their tannoys, but . . . . . Tannoys equals ~tannoise to me. SOftdomes all the way, Baby . . . .

ATC will give you fantastic detail, and pleasure, and low distortion, and no fatigue, and and and and . . . .

Tannoys will be impressive, but , but , but, 

just suck em and see . . .

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Thanks Andy,

have you seen this? what do you think?

http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/k100-5-p.asp

Pete

HI,

think i is good value for money, but unseen and unheard. I would  definately go active if you want to build your own. No disrespect to Wilmslow, but have you SEEN an atc passive crossover . . .

Active all the way, baby. Even considering Behringer crossover myself. if not, 2nd hand XPA(dig) or BSS(analog). I would be happy to help you out. I worked for Roger Quested for several years in the late 80s, so I know what I am doing. esp with ATc 3 inch soft domes. There are several Plate amp options too. gimme your phone no ,and well have a chat.

[email protected]

oh, and I live in Hampshire . . .

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

I find if I can get my mix to sound good on my Tannoy 15" Gold's then it will sound good on anything, my other studio references are Genelec 1030 and NS10's. However 15's are a big speaker and you need to crank them which I find fatigueing, near field and smaller is the way to go.

Can't comment on the other referred speakers.

This is an argument that can go on and on . . . .

the huge benefit of a 3 way system with a 3 inch softdome is that the critical midrange 380Hz to 3kHz or so)is handled by ONE driver, not the top end of a massive 15 inch bass driver running way too high into the bottom of a 1 inch compression driver running way too low. Distortion is extremely low with softdome, and dispersion is very good. I am not suggesting that anyone here has not made a true comparison, but many Tannoy fans that I have come across have not even looked at a softdome system. Granted, Tannoys can sound great, but as a critical monitor for evaluating mixes it is the ATCs that have the detail, and not only in the midrange. There are very many Mastering houses that use ATC or PMC systems with ATC 3 inch softdome. Personally, I have never seen 15 inch Tannoys in a mastering situation, but I am sure they do exist.

The only way to decide is to try both.

I've always liked the botton end on the tannoy 15's
as oppossed to the light bottom 10's that i own
the 15's that i've heard the most have a point where
[ the crossover ? ] horn gets a little nasty with with too much level
Ribbon tweaters also help  [ although often on modern stuff all i hear
is cymbals & drum verb out of them ]
speakers = maddeness
kinda like acoustic gtrs , they're all just different

Oasis mastering down the road from me uses Tannoy dmt II for mastering. ATC do sound really good though, But they are a different flavor. there are many different ways to skin a cat, you just need to evaluate what would work for you.

Hey chaps,

thanks for all the valuable comments.

Andy, I have my eye on some beat up old ATC SCM100A at the moment, im thinking they will need some work, so if i manage to get them ill shoot you a mail and maybe you can advise on a fixing them up? If I dont get them then I think I might try the K100 kits, see what we can do there,

I appreciate the offer of help greatly.

cheers!

Pete

Oh, Yeah, that would be funny as hell.

I am SO glad to be amongst decent folk here . . . . discourse is not only possible, but interesting and enlightening. Agreeing to disagree is pretty cool.

Vive la Difference, and Vive Prodigy-Pro . . .

strangeandbouncy said:
Oh, Yeah, that would be funny as hell.

I am SO glad to be amongst decent folk here . . . . discourse is not only possible, but interesting and enlightening. Agreeing to disagree is pretty cool.

Vive la Difference, and Vive Prodigy-Pro . . .

I concur

Back in the 70s, the Tannoy dual concentric was the technology to beat. I visited many UK studios at that time and the vast majority used Tannoys.

40 years later, technology has moved on and three way systems  and enclosures have improved no end, to the point where there is now probably very little to choose between them.

That said, I still prefer the point source sound of my Tannoy dual concentrics, but that's perhaps as much because I am am so used to them as anything else.

Bottom line is, only YOU can make the decision. What anyone else likes really doesn't matter that much other than for giving you ideas of things to listen to.

Cheers

Ian

Definitely anything active. I bought a pair of DMT215 to convert them into processed active monitors with an XTA to crossover and eq them a bit. This is the ultimate solution to get perfect monitors but you have to know what you're doing...

Latest posts

Back