LA2A External input to sidechain

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannysound

Hello I'm building an LA2A and would like to add external access to the sidechain to trigger the compressor section with say a bass drum.
I'm building it in an empty LA2A case (ex shop display!) and didn't want to drill too many extra holes in it, so I thought replacing the stereo adjust pot with a 1M resistor; then adding a switching jack socket to break the siadechain input going into R2 (peak reduction control), and using this point to inject the external trigger signal.
Can anyone tell me if theres any obvious problems with this idiea?

The top of R2 is basically the top of R1 also... That's a fairly high-impedance and noise-susceptible place.

While this would certainly work, any capacitance in the wiring would dull the signal, and any noise picked up along the way (it's unbalanced of course) would bleed BACK into the signal path, and be mixed in with the output.

By all means do it, but you may well need to buffer the signal to protect it. -A unity gain buffer would work well, but as to how you power it and what it is... -that's up to you! ;-)

Keith

Latest posts

Back