1073 Lite for the 500 or 51X rack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno2000

Greetings folks,
Here's a project I've been working on and off for a couple of months now.  I call it a 1073 "Lite" since it has no filters, no line input, and only 2 selectable frequencies for the Lo shelf.  It has 2 selectable frequencies for the top shelf, including 5k to brighten up those pesky dull guitars, and 11 mid band frequency choices.  This one has the Carnhill input transformer, and Ed Anderson's output, but there's a footprint for Ed's input transformer as well.  I'm building one up with Ed's input, and will post pictures when it's done.  

The bottom board contains the mic pre, the mid band EQ components, the output section, and the power supply parts.  The top board has the 2 EQ amps, the hf and lf caps, and all of the switching.  They are connected together by a 20 pin header, and a 10 pin ribbon cable.

The power is compatible with the traditional 500 rack +/- 15VDC, or you can run it from the +24VDC power available from the 51X rack, by leaving out some parts, and installing a couple of jumpers.

I only had a few boards made for the prototypes, but if there's any interest, I'll do another run to sell.

1073Lite-1.jpg

1073Lite-2.jpg

1073Lite-3.jpg

Best,
Bruno2000

Bruno,

after the SSL 9K and the hopefully upcomming 4K this seems like a very promising project !!!! Congratulations !!!!

I don't see the use for a sled unless there are multiple boards involved, or if the unit needs to be fully encased for shielding.  There are holes for a sled if you really want one.  The motherboard of the 51X rack is sooooooo thick and rugged that it supports the boards just fine.  YMMV.
Best,
Bruno2000

Do you have a rough idea of the final cost ?
I may speculate on a pair even though
I'm way overloaded , little time or money
but it looks good

Very cool. I love how many neve projects are coming around, but this is a great idea incorporating those parts of the eq. I'd love to know what kind of price it takes to build one of these. I'd be in for two or four.

-Brice Conrad

MikoKensington said:
Any thought of making a Line In Only version?

Doesn't Peter's 1084 eq already cover that ground more effectively?  If you have 2 spaces to spare then Colin's design is a full 1073, if you can live with a slimmed down eq and are short on space then this is ideal.  If you want full eq and line only Peter's design is the one.

Well done Bruno.

Cheers,
Ruairi

funkymonksf said:
Very cool. I love how many neve projects are coming around, but this is a great idea incorporating those parts of the eq. I'd love to know what kind of price it takes to build one of these. I'd be in for two or four.

-Brice Conrad

OK, real quick:

Audio Maintenance

Gain switch 18.24 Pounds
Freq Sel switch 11.32 Pounds
Input trans 41.57 Pounds
9044 inductor 15.84 Pounds
9050 inductor 15.84 Pounds
Total 102.81 Pounds ($171.44 US today's rate) plus shipping

Hairball Audio
EA 1166-500 output trans $32.00 US
EA 10468 alternate input transformer $52.50 US

Mouser
Bourns pots about $8.00 ea US (x4)
Mountain Switches $3.60 ea US (x7)

Front Panel about $25

Other parts (transistors caps resistors knobs) Wild Guess $40.00 US

The prototype board sets cost about $70.00 US (Gold fingers, OUCH), but that number should come down with quantity.

Sooooooooo if you add all that up (and shipping) it comes to around $400 US

Hope this helps!

Best,
Bruno2000

I´d be in for a stereoset. We just can be lucky to not have to order everything in surround ;D

thanx and cheers  Jan

Baltimore said:
What are the mid frequencies?

1k6
2k4
3k2
3k9
4k8
6k4
7k2
8k4

You could, of course, change these around by changing cap values.  I wanted all of the original Neve frequencies, but then I had this nice 11 position switch...............

Best,
Bruno2000

Latest posts

Back