iangomes

Cleaning Push-button Switches
« on: April 29, 2011, 12:15:50 PM »
Working on a Studer console with those winky-eye push buttons. They seem to need some cleaning, but I'm not sure how to get any Deoxit in there. Anyone have any experience here?

Rob Flinn

Re: Cleaning Push-button Switches
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 12:18:43 PM »
As a last resort drill a small hole in the switch !
regards Rob

iangomes

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 12:32:06 PM »
I guess I could. Thanks for the idea. Too bad I have 10 per channel x 24 channels :S haha. What a pain!

Rochey

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 12:51:31 PM »
Get the drill press set up... ;)
Expat Audio Home: http://www.expataudio.com

iangomes

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »
is it really the only way? :(

radiance

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 04:42:58 PM »
inject the fluid...there must be some small hole's or seems in these switches that allow as small needle ....
"Knowing that you are dreaming, however, does not automatically guarantee full rationality.
Then again, being awake doesn't ensure good thinking, either." -  Lynne Levitan

Rob Flinn

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:24:08 PM »
Too bad I have 10 per channel x 24 channels :S haha. What a pain!

Lucky for you it's only a small console  !!
regards Rob

Brian Roth

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 11:42:49 PM »
Winky-eye switches sound like Schadows.  If so, you can see an opening in the top of the switch body near the plunger.  In fact, if you press the button, you can see a little shiny steel wire moving back and forth inside then opening.  That allows you to SPARINGLY use some sort of Magic Contact Goo.

Best,

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Salina Kansas, home of the best vinyl on the planet!

http://www.BrianRoth.com
recordingservicesandsupply.com/
www.qualityrecordpressings.com/
store.acousticsounds.com

1954U1

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 06:57:54 PM »
I've had success cleaning all the switches [Schadow] of a 269 Studer monitor module, using a syringe.
You can see a very little "linear" opening [sometimes on the left, sometimes on the right] between black and brown plastics on the top rear of the switches, its enough for inserting the needle.

sodderboy

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 11:26:27 AM »
Those Shadow switches are "self-cleaning" but only if they are used frequently.  Once they tarnish they are tough to clean.

The trick to cleaning is that you want to get the cleaner at the contacts and not the plunger channel because the lube there gets diluted and cleaned also. 

I use the syringe, I get SC needles for diabetics at the drugstore, shoot a cleaner only in small amounts towards the back, and excersise the switch listening for improvement.  Repeat until improvement, then apply a small amount of ProGold with a different syringe as a conditioner/lube.  A little on the plunger as well.  Have to be careful if the needle!!  I don't really like the tech needles.  IM needles are larger and longer if you know anyone who gives themselves vitamin shots.

This works for a few cycles, and then the switches need to be replaced.  Most commercial situations that require total operation go for replacements.  I deal directly with arpamax.com in Spain.  Quite easy to deal with in quantity.  I stopped using the UK distributor because when they weren't closed for a bank holiday they were out to lunch or gone after 3.  Totally not interested in selling switches in my experience!

Mike