1-hour sketches

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Typing as I listen..

March 11.
I picture Linda Blair so innocent looking opening Christmas gifts, before she became evil. So happy, smiling but you know there's impending doom coming.

Mystery:
A dark night, you can see the outline of a tree against a moonlit cloudy sky, then a silhouette of man ran across the hill.

March 10:
I picture a prince and his bride dancing, at a palace-- must be a wedding... hmmm.... but towards the end, the crazy uncle showed up drunk and made a fool of himself.

March 9: Again, I picture dancing... girls with big tall hair, wearing skirts that puff up so big, and chests that are bursting big too.

update: I like your arrangement of Amazing Grace. Very refreshing and new to me.

what is a sketching session? and what exactly is orchestration?

is this all done with orchestral samples?

hey, mouse.  a sketching session is where I sketch the music by hand in Finale.  no DAW is being used.
Orchestration is the process of taking a melodic or harmonic idea and selecting musical colors to express that idea. It kinda looks like this:  

Here's the sketch:
and here's the orchestration of the sketch:

After it's all written out, then I play each part into Logic, one part at a time.

This is all done with virtual instruments.  I sequence this kind of stuff with my EWI.  the flute is real, i'm playing that, using my new mic, an AKG C414B-ULS!!  Hopefully in a few weeks, i'll be recording with it thru a 51X rack preamp and compressor instead of straight into my interface.

Owel, thanks!   I'm glad the music is conjuring up images in your head!   Who is linda blair?  Heh, March 10th's description is "Tom & Jerry get Drunk"

Ha! I didn't know there were descriptions for each song. How about that? we arrive at the same image there... drunk.

Linda Blair - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlFhybmvrY0

I love orchestral cinematic scores.
John Williams - all of 'em
Howard Shore - LOTR Trilogy
James Newton Howard - Dying Young

" Who is linda blair? " Man, I'm feeling old. She used to live a couple towns over from here. Dated a guy I knew who was playing in a local cover band. They even made the cover of the National Enquirer. That was back in the late '70s.
Time flies..........
Nice work, BTW

skeetch on.  Not to date myself but linda blair is an actress. As a child she played  the kid in the movie the Exorcist. If you have not seen it, it's a good horror film.

Good stuff man, gotta love EW's VI's!

Cold winter morning snow flakes (because of the Glock). Down but not out... if that makes any sense.

Im hearing a Danny Elfman (edward scissor hands at the beginning and Batman at the end) meets John Williams (on your horn parts).

Great stuff Chuck. Really enjoyed all of them. I have only listened the video sketch into about ten minutes but I'll get back to it tonight when I have some time.

mulletchuck said:
thanks, sahib..   uh, the sketch video is only 2 minutes long.   I'm not sure what you were watching.b

I have no idea where I got ten minutes ha ha. I was watching other things too. So a simple mix up. But I watched it anyway. Again enjoyed it.

Got called to do some frank sinatra take-downs and modernize Nelson Riddle/Quincy Jones' classic scores.  Just for fun, i mocked up one.  The EWI solo I took in place of the tenor solo on Fly Me To The Moon is HILARIOUS:  http://soundcloud.com/mulletchuck/fly-me-mockup 

Please ignore the lack of drum programming!!

Latest posts

Back