ACES B-1816 mixig console schematics anyone?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
look for the name SECA as well.  I have some friends who used have a SECA (aces backwards) desk, which is probably the same sort of thing.  I think they swapped the name round when they felt the need to rebrand themselves.

How to repair/improve an Aces? A few options spring to mind:

Sink it.
Sell it.
Let it slowly dissolve in an acid bath.
Perch it precariously on a cliff-edge and wait for the wind to turn.
Kill it with fire.
Install it at the base of a chimney which is about to be demolished.

Personally, I'd opt for the Viking burial. (I used to have to maintain one many years ago... It wasn't QUITE so bad as the ACES tape machine which accompanied it, but that's a bit like saying that someone who has lost both legs and one arm isn't really 'mutilated' compared to someone who's lost two legs and BOTH arms...)

Never mind me... I have a real down on them. -It's just that even when they're working as designed, they're so outclassed by stuff like Mackie gear that I'd honestly recommend repairing it with a Semtex charge coupled with some Thermite.

Keith

Hi,

I would like to add that the ACES console(s) I have had the misfortune to use have been the WORST ever in every single possible respect. They had no redeeming features whatsoever. The mic amps were so microphonic you didnt need a microphone if you were singing in the control room, you just had to sing near the top of the channelstrip on EVERY channel. The sound was . . . well , , , awful. It was essential to leave the eq out of circuit at all times, There are a few classic eqs that seem to improve anything you put through them, even when set flat. There are no other that i have come across that RUIN the sound even when flat. ANd they reversed phase when switched in . . . They broke often. And iirc, if you measured the voltage rails at channel 32, there was a healthy plus and minus 17V, but at channel 1, this had dropped to plus and minus NINE volts, due to the hopeless ribbon cable used. Now what did we normally have up channel 1 . . . . the Kick drum, just exactly where you dont want substantially reduced headroom. easily fixed with some spare wire, but wtf . . . .

I never tried the ACES tape machine - Heaven Forfend . . .

Did use a Trident tape machine though, and that was bad enough . . . . no azimuth adjustment, so utterly useless with tape coming from any other studio . . . aagh . . .

ANdyP

ps thanks for rekindling old memories(ie nightmares . . . . )

Latest posts

Back