removing pen marks from console fascias.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

I'm doing up an old console at the moment, that has very dove grey coloured panels.  Various previous owners have marked fader positions etc with a variety of different writing implements including ball point pens, chinagraph, indelible felt tip pens etc etc.

I've tried a few things to remove these marks, with differing amounts of success.  I'm wondering if anybody can recommend a solvent that might work that won't lift the screen print ?

I get good results with isopropyl alcohol the strong 90-100% stuff. Similar to that used to clean tape heads. Use that with some cotton swabs and elbow greese.  But usually removing sharpie marks and not ball point pens. But  it might do  the job and is paint friendly

+1 is all I can add.

There's a solvent product here called Goo Gone that might work.

Goo gone is good, but you gotta be careful with it around plastics, etc.. You can get a diluted version of it too.
What about those 'magic markers' available at the elecronics store?

I used to have a can of cleaner from RS (order no. 180-803). That stuff was great. I need to get some more, it shifts most things. Pour a bit on and leave it, you can see the ink lift within seconds! Not sure what's in it, test a bit first to be careful

A technique that can help with old ink stains, take a piece of Texwipe type cloth soaked with IPA (the closer to 100% the better) and smooth it out over the stain, cover with tin foil to keep it from drying. Check occasionally and wet cloth as needed. Have a gentle go at the stain w/ a swab soaked in IPA every few hours. It may take a day or two but it should dissolve the stain eventually.

Latest posts

Back