echoplex

Klark Teknik EQP-KT - Has anyone modded theirs?
« on: October 30, 2019, 05:07:53 PM »
hi altogether,

klark teknik offers their eqp-kt for unbeatable 200€.
I can't even think of building a Pultec EQ for that price. The case and frontplate alone would be 200€+ !

So I was thinking of buying one or two and then mod the hell out of it.
Changing the tubes is obvious and probably crucial.
But has anyone tried to change capacitors and/or even resistors?
Maybe even trannies?
What's your experience? I bet there's people around here who's done it.

cheers

Whoops

Re: Klark Teknik EQP-KT - Has anyone modded theirs?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 12:50:31 PM »
Like Jakob has said in other thread for the Behringer 1176 or LA2A clones,
it's really hard to go wrong when cloning this units.

You could always change the tubes, but maybe even the stock tubes are perfectly fine.

As for other components, it depends on the amount of SMD components the units had, from the picture I can't clearly see if there's smd or not. The stock resistors will probably be fine, stock film capacitors most probably also.
Electrolytic capacitors I'm sure they're not has good as any Panasonic 105degress series, and those could be changed for longer term reliability or for assurance.

Behringer Chinese made Audio transformers with Midas stickers, maybe they're fine, how could we know without some tests and some CJ's teardown?

I can see there's a Switch mode power supply,  as for the PSU it will depend on how well it's designed.
Well designed SMPS can be totally fine for audio.
The problem is when they fail and it's a pain to repair, or just not a worthy repair. And SMPS in this type of market are built to Fail most of the times.
So in a case of failure I would build a DIY linear PSU and ditch the SMPS, but I would use it stock as long as it works well.

Overall the unit seems quite well built, I'm sure it sounds good.

I would have to see some pics of the Front PCB (Audio)

I could only find these ones:

EmRR

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 12:56:41 PM »
Documented somewhere that it and the WARM both use a non-original inductor approach, and the high boost bandwidth is much more narrow than a proper Pultec. 
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

"I think this can be better. Some kind of control that's intuitive, not complicated like a single knob" - Crusty

"Back when everything sounde

Whoops

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 02:24:23 PM »
Documented somewhere that it and the WARM both use a non-original inductor approach, and the high boost bandwidth is much more narrow than a proper Pultec.

Thanks Doug, so that makes a good mod for the unit, modding  it for inductor based EQ