Poor Man's Pultec EQP1-A Build Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian's PSU (Thanks again, Ian: with the luck I was having a few months ago, I may well have killed myself trying to breadboard one!).

Attachments

• DSC01617.JPG
    DSC01617.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 102
Tube gain make-up. Need to double-check these, since I only did a very rough adjustment, more or less by ear. Thanks again, Ian, for your generosity in sharing your wealth of experience, and putting such a fine EQ within reach. I'm sure it's going to see a lot of use. Thanks also to  everyone who has contributed to this thread and helped me through this build - the generosity and courtesy of the members of this forum is truly remarkable.

Ralph

Attachments

• DSC01618.JPG
    DSC01618.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 121
Looks fantastic Ralph! Very nice, neat work. I think you're the first poshman builder I've seen so far.

Dave

Thanks very much, Dave, especially for your help in getting the switches and wiring sorted out - your diagram really came in handy. Did you ever get one done up that included the mid stage?

I've got a diagram that shows the mid (only one of them) inserted into the hi and lo. It's not a complete overall hookup diagram just the pots and switches and one would use both diagrams for a complete picture.

Check it out

Dave

Attachments

• Poor Mid Hookup.pdf
    260 KB · Views: 51
Nice. I'm sure it will come in handy for the next guy. I needed a bit of trial and error to figure out the mids - this would have been a time saver for me.  ::)

Man I'm totally sorry  :(. I've had it finished for a while, but I kinda spaced on posting it. I just sent you a PM

Dave

wow... I am going to pick up this project again as well... now my monitor system is up and running... very, very, very nice work! Inspiring!

Metalwork was the easiest part of the build for me! Wish I could get my head around the workings of a circuit as well as you!
Thanks for your comments, guys.

Rmaier Great job, impressive!!  :)  Were those lazertran decals, ingraved or screen-printed?  If lazertran which varnish did you use to get them to be see-through...  I've been having trouble getting my lazertran to show the background surface clearly...

thanks!
greg

Thanks, Greg. The front panel is made with waterslide decals, which I sprayed with a coat of clear gloss and then a coat of satin finish. After applying them to the panel, the whole thing got another topcoat of satin finish. Its not quite perfect, but it does help to make the decals a little less conspicuous.

Ralph

Cool, what brand waterslide decals, (Inkjet?)  Did they have a clear or white background.  And what brand lacquers did you use.  My waterslide decals are coming out funky...

thanks so much for the tips!!  I think it's a good way to make a good looking and inexpensive panel  :)

best,
greg

The decals were made from clear inkjet decal paper I found at a vendor on Ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/Robins-Eggcetera?_trksid=p4340.l2563.

The lacquers were Rustoleum Painter's Touch Clear Gloss and Tremclad Rust Paint Clear Satin.

I've had trouble in the past with decals bleeding while soaking (like on my Studer front panel: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=36522.200. I had less trouble on this one because I made sure they had a good couple of coats of lacquer, and that I didn't soak the decals too long or overwork them when getting them in place on the panel.

What kind of funkiness are you running into?

Ralph

Thanks for that! 
I think you answered my question...  I've been using Lazertran inkjet paper, and it's a white background that turns clear (supposedly) with an oil-based laquer.  Anyway it doesn't work, for me.  So I tried other methods and got it to look pretty good.  I'll order some of that label paper you're using and give it a go.  I also ran into the image bleeding and found if I use many super light coats of varnish, instead of a thicker coat is doesn't bleed.  Also, wiping off the extra water, and I put a light coat of alcohol under the label first.

My Mother in Law is a artist who's made prints and she showed me how to slide the decal off gently directy onto the panel, then press from the middle out to remove excess water.  That helped a little.  I think my biggest issues is the paper I'm using.
I think it's a good alternative to expensive front panels.

thanks for the info :cool:

greg

sorry
I do not remember where I found this layout ...
where can I find this PCB?

Attachments

• Pultec PCB.pdf
    104.7 KB · Views: 34
ilfungo said:
sorry
I do not remember where I found this layout ...
where can I find this PCB?

It is the new combined 3 band Pultec PCB. It has the hi, lo and mid circuits of the poor man's Pultec all on one PCB plus you can also do an inductive hi boost just like the original EQP1A or wire it up as a poor man's. This PCB does however use expensive switches.

The documentation is here:

http://www.ianbell.ukfsn.org/EzTubeMixer/docs/EzTubeMixer/3BandPultec/

and you can buy it here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=48986.0

Cheers

Ian

Ian,
I'm sourcing the resistors for my stepped switches and I've come across something.
The capcalc3.xls spreadsheet has the pots listed as:

Hi Cut            4700 Log
Hi Boost        47000 Lin
Low Cut      470000 Log
Low Boost      47000 Lin

Whereas the partslist.xls spreadsheet has them listed as:

Hi Cut            4700 Lin
Hi Boost        47000 Lin
Low Cut      470000 Log
Low Bosst      47000 Log

Which spreadsheet is accurate? I'm assuming the partslist is the accurate one as I also looked at the PMEQP1-AMKII.png from the first post and it shows both Hi pots to be Lin and both low pots to be Log but I want to be certain.

Thanks,
Dave

Latest posts

Back