circuit reduction techniques.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulletchuck

Take a look at the following picture: 

screenshot20110515at110.png

I'm trying to analyze this circuit.  It looks like the upper row of the deck 6/deck5 gets selected when the switch is in the 0 position.  But i am a noob, and definitely need someone with more experience to comment.

The values for the dual Cap network at the bottom are identical.  It's making me wonder if you need to have the duplicates.  Or if you could rewire it and get away with one set of switched caps on deck 6/5 (thus eliminating a deck).

They aren't duplicates. Deck 5 gets shunted to ground (through a string of resistors) before going to Deck 6. No clue what this circuit is, but it looks like they are tuning a filtering network this way.

mulletchuck said:
Ok, so why did API do it that way?

One is for shelving and one is for a bell.  If you only need one curve you can probably drop the rest, although I'm making some assumptions about the cutout circuitry. 

it's part of the API 550b schematic in the GroupDIY gmail account.  I am guessing that this schematic is incomplete/unofficial because those open circles are confusing, and a few components don't have values.  JSteiger, please jump in when you can!

Back