Anyone have experience the Mackie Big Knob?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggler

It looks like the perfect solution for what I need, nice price, headphone amps built in, etc...

But it's not passive. Does it really mess with the sound?

riggler said:
But it's not passive. Does it really mess with the sound?

Well unfortunately in my experience it does mess with the sound, I wouldn't want one in the chain. 

It's not as simple as passive good, active bad though.  Badly implemented passive will be all wrong and good active solutions are excellent and are the industry standard - Cranesong, Dangerous, Crookwood, good console monitor sections are all active.

What D/A are you using?

Lucid 88192 is my DA (set to -10 operation to feed Technics SE-A1 amplifier which drives JBL 4410's). I have never had such a well-translating monitor setup and I don't want to screw it up!

riggler said:
Lucid 88192 is my DA (set to -10 operation to feed Technics SE-A1 amplifier which drives JBL 4410's). I have never had such a well-translating monitor setup and I don't want to screw it up!

A monitor system that translates is a beautiful thing.  What is it that you need that the Big Knob does?  I've looked but can't tell if the technics amps has a volume knob and headphone amp?

I did a session in a studio with a Big Knob and really disliked it.  There may be a better and more streamlined solution to your needs.  So let us know what you need.

Speakers are JBL 4410, not 4411.
Well, the Technics amp is a really special thing. Weighs like 80 pounds! There are no front-panel controls, but there is a headphone jack.

sua6sea5catalog1.jpg

bild

What I need is:

Talkback
Control monitor volume, preferably letting me switch to a pair of confidence monitors (i just use a set of nice computer speakers for this)
Headphone amp for two rooms (right on the other side of the wall from my control area)
Ability to control the volume for the headphones

I am leaning towards the Central Station. I like Igor's kit, but it's just too expensive, and I really don't have the time to build something right now. I've got people waiting to record at the new place, so I better get my arse in gear! Thanks guys!

That oculus looks awesome, but it is $3600.  I always have the same discussion with clients that they have to listen to Shadow, Grace, Shadow, Mackie, Presonus, Dangerous, etc. to decide if they like the sound.  Some controllers are for the sound and others are not but HAVE a sound.  Dangerous gives transparent killer specs for less.  Mackie and Prosonus do well but need to have a listening session.  You pay for color with the others.

If all you need is cue with talkback, go with the central station and mult a feed to your known preferred listening chain.  Or look at a passive device like Coleman Audio or build Igor's passive monitor controller.  They both have cue/ talkback.  I like the Coleman for it's clean simplicity.

Luv the Technics.  Get the other stuff DONE and get on with the music.
Mike

Back