PM660 vs LA-2a? Thoughts?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

Hey Guys,

It's been a while since I've had any time to put into DIY with my 11mnth old taking up the majority of it. It looks like I'll be parting with my DIY LA-2a for various reasons (I can't afford to keep it right now). I'm 80% done with my PM660 and just wondering when I can get the money to finish it how it compares with the LA-2a. I know sound is so objective, just wondering if you feel it would be a suitable replacement or if I need to start saving for building a replacement LA-2a.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

Well, vari-mu is totally different sound than opto(as i'm sure you know). Vari-mu has a grabby, bouncy effect....whereas opto has a smoothing, richness type thing... 

Vari mu can do more...but may not be as good on certain things...such as vocals and acoustic guitars. I suppose it depends on what you find yourself recording more of..

Hah Hah, the reasons I love my LA-2A is for acoustic guitars and vocals, guess it answers that question then :)

Thanks Desol

desol said:
Well, vari-mu is totally different sound than opto(as i'm sure you know). Vari-mu has a grabby, bouncy effect....whereas opto has a smoothing, richness type thing... 

Vari mu can do more...but may not be as good on certain things...such as vocals and acoustic guitars. I suppose it depends on what you find yourself recording more of..

I find the LA2A certainly has a sound almost an effect and can be used slightly on lighter sources that something like the 660 wouldn't necessarily pick up.

I've built both and I immediately parted with my 660 but it really is all about what YOU are into.

Judging by what I've heard of your music I'd say hang on to it...

but if you decide to let go of your LA lemme know ;)

Back